1984 300D ignition key won't turn

Hi,

I have a 1984 300D that recently developed a problem with the ignition. Frequently, the key won't turn out of position 0. As soon as the problem began, I ordered a new key (cut to code) and installed a new tumbler set. This seemed to fix the problem for a day or two, but now the problem has returned. Perhaps coincidentally, I have also been having problems with the battery. I have had to recharge it twice recently.

Any advice on what to check next?

thanks, Carl

Reply to
cgottlieb

Not terribly familiar with this year of vehicle, but is the ignition lock electrically-operated? With a dead battery, it's possible that there's not enough current to unlock the ignition.

If you've needed to recharge the battery twice recently, perhaps it would be prudent to get a new battery? It'd be interesting to see if the problem disappears afterwards...

Reply to
Pete Stephenson

See

"steering lock pin jamming"? DanlK, FYI Services Collectibles

FYIS.org/