1998 plymouth breeze key won't turn in ignition

I have a 98 Plymouth Breeze and have recently found the key will not turn in the ignition. I have tried wiggling and jiggling the steering column but to no avail. The wheel is locked.

All I need to do is get it started so I can take the car to the dealer which is approximately 60 kms away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Jim.

Reply to
cannabiscabbie

I had a similar problem with an '02 Ford van. The cylinder would not turn no matter how much jiggling or turning of the (locked) steering wheel I would do. Only fix was to have the tow truck take it to the dealer, who fixed it under warranty (20,000 miles on it at the time). Worked fine up to that point, never knew there would be a problem.

Reply to
Bob M.

Sounds like a busted ignition lock or cylinder, if so, the repair entails openeing up the area around the steering wheel.

U could attempt a squirt of some lube, like graphite lock cylinder lube, or WD-40...etc. to see if it may free up a "jam" inside the lock mechanisms.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Call a locksmith Don

Don

Seconded. a locksmith will come to you and won't rape you nearly as badly as the dealer will.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You could try jiggling the shifter and also make sure it's all the way up into the park position. Good luck.

Reply to
gsxr711