1998 Dodge Grand Caravan with 'key won't turn in the ignition' problem

I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan with the intermittent but becoming more frequent 'key won't turn in the ignition' problem.

My understanding is the fix for this problem requires replacement of the ignition lock cylinder assembly. How difficult is that, and are there any pitfalls?

Once source indicates the ignition lock cylinder assembly for 1998-2004 to be identical, while the general parts similarity is for model years

1996-2000. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Reply to
News

If you want your new ignition lock to work with your present ignition key, the lock will have to be set. Otherwise you'll need separate keys for ignition and doors. This requires special skills and equipment. Usually left to a locksmith or dealer.

But before that, I presume you've tried lubricant (use only special lock lubricant - regular oil will attract dirt).

Reply to
Dave Gower

New cylinder and recode to the old key.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Dealer or independent shop? Estimated cost?

Thanks.

Reply to
News

"News" wrote

I never needed this done in my Grand Voyager, but in my Focus it cost $150 Canadian at the Ford dealer. If you can drive it to a locksmith, you might get it done much cheaper. I didn't have the option since I couldn't turn the key to start it.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Reply to
philthy

Thanks.

Can a locksmith handle the recoding, or is this a dealer-only job?

philthy wrote:

Reply to
News

Reply to