Installed HercuLiner

I was bouncing either to having an x-liner install or a Rhino liner installed. I have had both done in my pick ups but when I was quoted the price I vapor locked $450.00 and they would not give me a break even if I removed the interior.

Well, nothing venture nothing gained I purchased the one gallon kit of the Herculiner and things went pretty smooth, ha, ha. Completely stripped out the interior of my 04 TJ Sahara piled it all in the shop and commenced to get in to it.

Since it is new I used a strong household cleaner and then roughed up the surfaces wiped down with Xolene as per directions I did not like the roller that cam with it so I used a stippling paint brush instead. I applied two coats and it only took the first coat 2 hours to dry.

I even did the door entry lips and tail gate when all said and done the job looked great and only time will tell for wear. I had a full quart left over and will keep it for touch up as needed. The stuff seems pretty tough got some on my elbow and short of sand blasting it won't come off.

It took about two full days from start to finish and keep me out of the wife's hair so life is good. Saved some serious coin so I can keep the frig stocked with beer.

Reply to
HarryS

Excuse my temporary ignorance (to say nothing of insanity) but what's the primary purpose? Looks? Sound deadening? Vibration? Heat transfer from the underside of the vehicle through the floor?

Thanks --- also you didn't say how much that one gallon (plus the "Xolene") came to. BTW, what's "Xolene" ? Toluene? Naptha? Some mix of Toluene and Isopropyl?

CP

Reply to
Captain Purple

primary purpose?

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well, just like any modification to a vehicle, chrome, exhaust, or other personal touches I did it because I can and wanted too.

Well, it does add extra protection in rust prevention and interior wear and tear. I have restored several jeeps and they always have rusted on the floor pans from the inside out. Besides in my opinion it looks sharp and since I am the beholder that's all that counts.

It really does not have an affect on sound deadening or prevent heat transfer it does slightly reduce some harmonic vibrations you usually get from the resonance of the power train.

I intend this to be my last jeep so I am going to do everything I can to give her a long life an ounce of prevention so to speak. My 2 cents.

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well Captain, Xolene is it's own product it is the modern equilelvelent of the old enamel reducers used to thin high VOC auto paints. The cost including shipping of the Herculiner was $101.00 and the Xolene is about $9.00 per gallon and the stippling brush was $8.50 and I did not use the one that came with the kit.

Well, it does add extra protection in rust prevention and interior wear and tear. I have restored several jeeps and they always have rusted on the floor pans from the inside out. It really does not have an affect on sound deadening or prevent heat transfer it does slightly reduce some harmonic vibrations you usually get from the resonance of the power train.

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
Jim85CJ

also used Herculiner and am very happy with the results.

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
Jim85CJ

I'd have to wash the mud off to be able to tell. From what I can see of it right now, no, it has not. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
Redge Egder

As a vintage Jeep lover, all I can do at this point is sigh....

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's a free country. Sigh away. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
Redge Egder

Reply to
Jim85CJ

The cool part about it is that it actually does look pretty decent even "in person" and if I take it offroad and get it in a tight spot and scratch it up really badly then it takes me about 5 minutes to wash and paint it to repair the scratches and costs me maybe 20 cents worth of paint.

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
Redge Egder