Is por 15 my only option for something clear to protect the inside of my jeep

I went to wal mart and found clear rustoleum enamel but the first warning on it is to not use it on galvanized metal Isn't the whole tub of a tj galvanized metal? (I want the original paint to still be visible)

Thanks

Reply to
tjce

Jerry Bransford

I used this

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

And... The manufacturer recommends topcoating POR-15 anyway to shield it from UV light for exterior use.

Wandering around the site, it looks like they've expanded the POR-15 line a bit -- it now comes in black, grey, silver and clear.

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

POR-15 wouldn't be the material to use over existing paint, you'd only be wasting your money since the bond to the metal is only as good as the underlying paint. If the paint peels or has rusty metal under it, POR isn't going to make any difference. If you're going to drop money on POR-15 put it on rusty metal, that's what it is designed to adhere to.

For the Rustoleum label warning -- they don't want you to use it on galvanized _surfaces_. But you wouldn't be doing that, you'd be applying it to the paint on top of the galvanizing.

I'm wondering, though, why you want to clear coat the inside of your TJ. You won't be able to make it as nice as a factory paint application

-- if you spray from rattle-cans you'll get dull spots and overspray, if you brush it on you'll get runs and sags on the upright surfaces. And, if you get it looking really shiny you'll highlight any dirt and scratches you get on it.

tjce wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I believe the POR can't be used on galvanized metal because it will ruin the zinc coating.

Reply to
<beebop3

POR-15's instructions recommend using their zinc phosphate prep coating on new metal, aluminum and galvanized metal. See: under the "Application of POR-15 to new metal" paragraph. My guess is that it is a "tooth" issue. POR needs a certain minimum amount of surface roughness to stick to or it will peel.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> I believe the POR can't be used on galvanized metal because it will ruin the

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I second Coasty's bedliner recommendation. Did mine and love it. Over the years, you'll probably be glad you did. Would never consider spray cans for a job you care about. If you want to go the extra mile for a car show-like upgrade, though, I'd take it to a professional (RhinoLiner or the others) and have them spray it instead of rolling it in at home (which isn't hard at all). They can spray on whatever thickness you desire, the edges will be like the edges of many trucks you see, and they can mix different colors that match or contrast your paint or interior. Heck, if they've got left over, they'll probably offer to make a permanent bra or edges. Just let your imagination roam, just don't get crazy:) Jim

Reply to
Drink

It costs about 4 bills to have the tub done at rhino or x-liner. A bud had used Herculiner in his horse trailer and it held up fantastic he put 3 coats on. Prior to me using the hurculiner I did my home work contacted other people who had used in their pick-ups and jeeps no one had a bad thing to say about it. The only recommendation they had is use a stippling brush this produces a better finish. It took one gallon to do 3 coast in the tub of my TJ and one weekend of time had everything back together by the evening the second day. I had my ram done with rhino and liked it the only thing I did not have them do the bed rails. I did the bed rails with herculiner and you cannot tell the difference and it really holds up. Three coats provides a

1/16 inch thick coat which protects everything and deadens some road noise and I removed my carpeting which makes clean up easier. Last year I did the inside of my dodge ram and love it ice, snow, salt, dirt, mud and abuse have not hurt it. I have had the herculiner in for two years now in my TJ and have no negative input about it.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty