interestig spark plug

They did a test of these on last nights horsepower. Not the "seat o the pants" but an actual engine dyno with identical conditions. They even explained why temperature and humidity was important, something that most of the telemarketers don't tell you. Not a terrific gain in power but they did show a good reduction in Nox and other emissions.

Think I'm going to grab a set and try them out. The problem is finding the correct heat range since the ZJ is not exactly stock.

Wonder if I could get them to dyno my ZJ. :)

Reply to
DougW

How much? Do they have shorty plugs for a SBC w/ headers?

Reply to
Jo Baggs

I dunno. Was going to stop by Advanced Auto and check. According to the JCWhitney they run.. ERK.. 6$ a pop!

Been reading the comments here.

good, some bad, some "ehh". About what I would expect as thereis no real way to measure gains unless you have a dynamometer. I've beentracking my fuel milage for years and one thing is certain. Stuff changes.Although I can tell when the O2 sensor gets old. Looks like it is one of those "your mileage may vary" thingies. :)

Still though, more real science than the :tin air swirlly device: scams.

Reply to
DougW

Some good, some bad, some "ehh". About what I would expect as there> is no real way to measure gains unless you have a dynamometer. I've been> tracking my fuel milage for years and one thing is certain. Stuff changes.> Although I can tell when the O2 sensor gets old.>

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yep. That's why I'm going to do a bit more research. Frankly the ZJ would be better off with a nice shiny new Multispark MSD System with boost retard. That would let me run a larger gap and even live with cheaper gas if that's all I can find.

Besides which I have a new set of Autolite 3924 plugs in the garage. 10 years of the same plug.

Still though, by the time the set I have runs out there should be enough experience on those. or not.

Reply to
DougW

Hi Doug, Autolites are what I run.

-Bill

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Check the box then because they could be made in the USA, Mexico or China Your comment got me thinking so I went searching and found a forum that made interesting reading. On it I found a comment from somebody calling himself MotorKing who posted:

Hi, My name is Jay Buckley, I would like to respond to your post about Autolite Spark Plugs. I am the technical training manager for Autolite spark plugs. We are a global supplier of spark plugs and they are made in three countries, USA, Mexico and China. Low volume and nearly obsolete copper core spark plugs (like your 386) do come from a plant in China. They are made to the exact same quality and engineering standards as our plugs made in the USA and other countries. Our platinum, double platinum and iridium enhanced plugs are made in the USA and Mexico. We are committed to selling the very best spark plugs in the market and we stand behind our products 100% regardless of the country of origin. I would be happy to answer any additional questions you may have about our products and ignition systems.

The whole forum is quite interesting and a bit saddening if you read the comments by some of the other people. Other comments By the MotorKing/Jay Buckley guy are especially interesting. Like I never knew that Autolite was now owned by Honeywell. Have a look at:

Michael

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

Michael

interesting.

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

I fail to see the connection Psycho Bill. What the hell do spark plugs made in China and Mexico have to do with you buying 5000 rounds of ammunition? I sure hope you get some help before you hurt someone. You are totally insane.

Reply to
Bill the Nutjob

First you start with reading the actual post and figuring out the comparison was being made between US made and foreign made products. Ammunition coming from China is responsible for more breach explosions and corroded weapons than any other source. With the possible exception of some Russian ammo that uses something close to rocket fuel.

Not everyone in this group has only Jeeps as a hobby.

Reply to
DougW

It seems to me that the real queation to be answered is how the performance is after 5,000 miles of real driving.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

True. Engine dynos can only do so much, but at least they give a repeatable test. You just can't do repeatable tests under real driving conditions.

That's why I stuck with the Autolite plugs. Change them every 10,000 miles and actually they could probably just be cleaned up and reused. Been running two cooler plugs on the I6 (Cyl 1 and 6 one heat range cooler) since they get less coolant flow and tend to run hot. Across the bank they get about the same thin coat of carbon. Mostly city buildup.

Reply to
DougW