jeep dealers

wow - I don't get it - Found the hit list last night, and my local HUGE Jeep dealer - Naperville Jeep - is on the list.... along with several others. But - the very small Jeep dealer up in Wheaton is left standing.

I don't understand the thinking.... The larger Naperville dealer, with a large & always busy service area is being closed down in favor for the smaller Wheaton dealer with just a few service bays.

Maybe all these larger "closed" dealers will become Fiat Group dealers ? else - the thinking just seems totally backwards ?

Reply to
ps56k

It is called cutting the fat. The dealer that showed profit lives.

Same for firing from the top down. People get promoted to the level of their own incompetence so most top folks are out of their league. ;)

Or you are right and they want it for something else.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > wow - I don't get it -
Reply to
Mike Romain

Maybe Fiat will have more understanding of Jeeps than Chrysler has shown. It would be impossible for them to have less.

We have two Chrysler dealers locally. One is more of one of those megadealer, megaservice, push the unneeded items type dealer and doesnt carry Dodge or Jeep. The other carries Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and will even tell you it is cheaper to have a local muffler shop replace a cat if your Jeep is out of warranty, and does oil changes for less than $30 with filter and synth blend.

Guess which one is being shut down by Chrysler.

I think I'll go buy a damn Range Rover.

Reply to
Lon

On Fri, 15 May 2009 11:43:30 -0700, ps56k wrote (in article ):

This may be some of the thinking. Without checking to make sure these figures are dead on, Chrysler had about 15% of the market. After Chrysler is reorganized and after the recession ends and Chrysler is running smoothly again it is not expected to hold more than about 7% of the market. The larger dealerships would be faced with a slow starve, if they even survived until thing got better.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Scheiner

The list I saw just said Naperville Dodge. They've owned a separate Dodge dealership called Naperville Dodge that used to be in Naperville near Main street for a number of years. In 2007 they bought a 2nd Dodge dealership that used to be in Downers Grove, so it might be they'll loose Dodge and go back to selling just Jeeps. Some of the experienced Jeep mechanics there weren't too happy working on mini-vans. They could also be making the decisions based on expected sales volume.

Maybe Fiat will keep Jeep and dump the rest? Fiat already owns Ferrari and Maseratti. A lot of the 'good' Chrysler stuff such as the 300C was based on Mercedes technology anyway. Didn't Range Rover go to that Indian company.

Reply to
AJ

In our area we have a very small, supposedly 5 star, Chrysler/Jeep dealer. Nice folks but not a whole lot on the plate other than friendly folks. They survived the cut. The next nearest dealership is in Jackson, about 30 mmiles away and they are a huge combined dealership GM/Cadillac & Chrysler/Jeep. Also with a 5 star rating. From THAT dealership, it's another 30-40 miles to the next one in any direction.

I bought my Jeep from the bigger dealership because they gave me $2000 more for my trade in and found the exact Jeep I was looking for. The smaller dealership couldn't/wouldn't hunt down a model with the options that I wanted.

So I'm left to wonder if part of it isn't saturation and logistics.

K.

Reply to
Kate

I'd say it's saturation. Some were literally across the street from others. It's a way they can break franchise agreements. None of the stores around here were cut.

Reply to
DougW

here's the sun times link & map - for the chicago area -

At the Naperville Jeep - actually moved years ago to re-locate in Lisle - has these buildings next to each other -> Kia - Dodge - Jeep - Hummer (now empty with Sprinter work vans) I recall years ago that the village of Lisle gave the dealership a TIF - Tax Incentive ? something - where they had a graduated sales tax scale to help offset their cap expenses... Not sure how it currently stands - but there must be a ton of local sales tax that will fall away due to these closings.

Reply to
ps56k

In article , pschuman_no_spam_me@inter > >

They opened the Jeep dealer in Lisle about 1987 and the Village of Lisle promptly sued them over using the name Naperville, so I don't know about a TIF. Maybe for one of the additions. TIF's usually reduce property tax in exchange for anticipated future sales tax.

In an article I saw today, it looks like Chrysler might be targeting the bigger dealers with the most unsold inventory to avoid buying it back.

If that's true getting a service appointment could be "I can get you in next September". Try NAPA for hood props and other parts. I got liftgate props for my '97 and various other electrical parts from them for about half what the dealers charge. Seems to be better quality than some of the other parts chains.

Reply to
AJ