Intermitten Electrical Problems

Just noticed a few problems the other day that might be related to one another.

The passenger's side power window, when you get in the car and crank it up for the first time, doesn't work. Usually if I click on the window lock and then click it off, the window works. Sometimes it takes two or three on off cycles, other times it doesn't. No rhyme or reason this started happening, no new electrical appliances added or removed.

The next thing I noticed was that my 4wd shifter and my regular shifter (P,R,N,D,3,2-1) wasn't illuminated either (Not sure what the correct term is for the "regular shifter). Well, I smacked the side of the 4wd shifter, and the light to that has come back on (and I'm pretty sure) stayed on.

Well, I decided to pop the cover off my regular shifter to see if I could find the problem. I can't. It still doesn't light up, AND now I can't get the damn thing back together. I searched the factory service manual I have for my Jeep, but I can't find that part anywhere.

Soo, the questions.

What's wrong with the windows? How do I get my shifter back together again? (The thing that has P,R,N,D,3,2-1) How do I get it to light up?

TIA

Hank

Reply to
viriiman

...sounds like the wire coupler is loose on the switch to me...if jiggling the door lock fixes the windows....I'd pull it apart and take a look-see. My advice...get a meter. Tracing electrical shorts is not rocket science...it simply takes time and attention to details..follow the path and test at every junctiion.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I was trying to save myself from snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, but wouldn't let me go...

Try popping the interior door panel off and tightening the connector to the switch panel. Or, get a multimeter out and play with the wire bundle whilst you check for opens. And check the relay as well.

|| How do I get my shifter back together again? (The thing that || has P,R,N,D,3,2-1)

Probably the reverse of getting it off...and RTFM manual again...you do have a FSM, right?

|| How do I get it to light up?

Try replacing the bulb, rather than beating the crap out of it. Or, go high tech, and use LEDs...easy, looks good in my girl's XJ...

Reply to
Joseph P