gear shift light

Re: '98 Escort. I seem to remember a light on the gearshift console that showed where the shifter was (P/R/N/D). Helpful in the dark. That light is out and I can't see how to get to it to change it. I have checked all the fuses. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
J. Simmons

in article WCzsl.65399$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad, J. Simmons at snipped-for-privacy@nospamcox.net wrote on 3/7/09 11:08 AM:

Big quick fix ... is take a shift console out of the dismantlers yard.

There will be a connection jack ... that sets the console into the wiring loom, and thus the battery/ignition system. I think they hare called 'bayonet' connections. Screwdriver the plastic locking part, and it pulls apart with some carefull effort.

Take the newer console, swap it out with the one you have. Plug it in, and screw it down. Drive off ... everything works just fine as it you witnessed it before the purchase of the repair part.

Plan Two ... do a battery to ground check on the wiring loom yourself, to the console, and find the open circuit. Close the open circuit ... and the light will come on. Sometimes it is the light, sometimes not ... especially if it is diode, those are suppose to be pretty tuff ... system deep ... like a liquid crystal display.

So plan one ... or plan two.

Those are the only two fixes I can think of.

sumbuddie hopes this helps.

Oh ... try some Blueberry Cream Puff ...

nice ride.

:?

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane