Time to keep looking I think...

OK, I was supposed to get a call back by 6:30, over three hours ago on the CJ-7. I just now got the call. The guy said the owner accepted my offer of $3200 but wanted to keep the chrome front grille. I told him I was disgusted that he called 3 hours late and that my final offer of $3200 stood and I wanted the chrome grille, too, and also wanted to see the hard-top first that they claimed came with the Jeep which was NOT there earlier when I looked at it. I said something about not liking to be "jerked around" and apparently he took offense at that. Too bad. I was ready to buy the Jeep. They were not as serious as I was. I'm still willing to buy it, but only on my own terms. I told him to tel lhis friend (the owner) "$3200, WITH the grille AND I want to see/inspect the hard-top now before handing any cash over." He was PISSED OFF to say the least. I don't expect to hear back from him. Oh well, there are plenty of Jeeps like that one for sale. This will just give me a chance to be more objective about the whole thing and maybe I'll get lucky and wind up with a better deal. :-/

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

your jeep will come and youll know it when you see it.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

mine sure is growing on me. i dont quite yet hold it in the same regard as my '00 sahara, but its almost there. once i get the seat issue figured out.....

Reply to
Nathan Collier

When i looked at the Scrambler for the first time, as soon as the garage door went up and i saw the rear of a BLACK CJ8 on 33's, i told my buddy i was buying it. He said he knew i would. And we had yet to get closer than 30 feet.

Don W

'82 CJ8 Scrambler AMC 360 T/F 727 Dana 300 One-piece model 20 rear Dana 30 front, upgraded to 6-bolt caliper and Warn hubs, awaiting locker

2" shackle lift/reversal 2" lift springs of unknown origin 33" Mickey's

And it finally runs!!!!!

Reply to
Don Wallish

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:58:52 GMT, "T. Greening" shared the following:

I don't take it the wrong way. When I typed up the post below I was in a really bad mood and I can see it made me look badly. I *do* need to relax some about this, like Nathan said. It's just that I was all built up and excited about getting a Jeep only to be let down in the final hours. I wasn't "the dick" from the start, though . I showed up on time to see the vehicle even though the other guy didn't, and followed him about 20 miles out into the country to take a look at a Jeep that I hadn't even seen yet. It wasn't until I sat here waiting over three hours passed the time the guy told me he'd call me that I started getting into a bad frame of mind. :-/

You're right. I just wish the guy had taken 3 minutes to give me a quick call on my cell phone (he had my home and cell phone number with him) and say "Hey, I'm running really late and don't expect to be home by 6 like I said earlier. I may not even get in touch with you again unti tomorrow." That would have been a disappointment, but I could have dealt with that. He didn't "owe" me a little common courtesy but it sure would have gone a long way. Still no excuse for me busting a gasket, though.

Yeah, the over-three-hour-late phone call was just kinda rude. The last minute "Oh, I know you made an offer on what you saw...and I accept that offer...but I'm going to remove a part (chrome grill) now and not include it with the vehicle"

Hmm...just a cover, huh? You know what? I was thinking it was the whole grill itself. Like it had been replaced with a chrome one. I didn't look at it closely when I was there. I'm not really interested in chrome. I was thinking he was saying he was basically going to remove the front grille. But hmm....you probably can't even do that and still have support for the headlights, huh? Anway, thanks to you guys for the responses and thanks for being straight with me. I get edgy sometimes and run off at the mouth. Just tell me to shut up every now and then and I won't take it the wrong way. I need to learn to be a little less high-strung. The guy said he wanted the ad to run through Sunday and I have a feeling that at that time he may call me back. If I don't have a solid deal lined up (unlikely) on another Jeep by then, then I'll try to deal with him a little more rationally. Thanks again for the advice, y'all.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Travis,

That chrome fits SNIP

Reply to
twaldron

You are making a huge mistake by getting nasty about that chrome grill. That thing is only worth a few bucks, tops. I wouldn't get too pissed about the timing either. These things SELDOM go on the schedule you want when working with private party sellers. If you went to the dealer to buy a brand new Jeep, the sales cycle would run several hours, even if you simply got out of your car and told the nearest salesman that you "wanted that white one over there." and had your checkbook in hand.

The guy asked $3500. You offered $3200. The guy accepted, but he wants to keep a worthless piece of chrome. Pull your check book out and start writing. You should get the hardtop though, an dif the seller is holding that back, then maybe you are right to step back on this deal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland