Is it possible to bypass the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor, Crankcase Position Sensor)

I checked for previous topics on this but I did not find one about bypassing the CPS. I am selling my 88 Comanche and wouldn't you know the damned thing will only start cold, one time and thats it. My experience with my 87 tells me its the CPS. I would love to just bypass the thing so I can sell it, or at least so I can tell the guy buying it that this is what the problem is. He is a friend of mine and I am giving him a deal but he is not mechanically inclined so I will end up fixing it for him anyway but I would like to wait for spring when its a little warmer than 10 degrees outside.

By the way I am new to the group! My name is Erich I live in the Rockies and I have had a number of Jeeps over the past 25 years. My wife just bought me a 2006 Unlimited so I am learning all about Jeeps again.

Thanks!

Reply to
Erich

Lee Ayrton

No problem. You will need a telegraph key, a rubber band, a surplus US Navy URM-43a signal generator, a deer antler and an pineapple. Tie the antler to the torsion dampener with the rubber band and some Elmer's glue. Place the telegraph key where the antler will tap it on each revolution. Wire the telegraph key to the signal generator set for 5500 Hz at 4.2V and then shove the pineapple up your ass for trying to hide a problem rather than fix it when selling a vehicle.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

How far?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

LMAO THAT IS TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!1

Reply to
J. Sprauer

Is that a 6 pt. antler for a six cylinder? _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Stupendous Man wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

ROFLMFAO!!

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Wow, with friend like you, who would need an enemy? This has got to be some sort of joke.

When you think you've heard it all, just log onto the internet!

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Thanks for the input, I figured as much. I had this problem on the road with my 87, it would be great if there was a quick fix so you could get it home and not have to have it towed.

Reply to
Erich

You might want to re-read what I wrote, I have every intention of fixing it for him, I am looking for some intelligent discussion on how to isolate or temporarily fix it for him so I don't have to be out working on it in the sub zero weather.

Reply to
Erich

There isn't one. The signal is critical for the engine to operate. My "Rube Goldberg" invention would work if i have the freq and voltage right, but is more work than it takes to do it right.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Reply to
Erich

Erich, I read that in your post, but it was just too easy a target to resist. It's just that I instantly saw your problem as one that has no "work-around", if the CPS quits, it's dead.. I am a mechanic and see this stuff all the time, at least in your case the guy knows something is wrong. It is usually my sad duty to tell people what they really bought and what the former owner did to it. Sorry if i offended you, it was not my intention.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I have found that in most cases, it is only a dirty connection on the CPS. The plug sits on top of the manifold at the back. WD40 will work to clean it, but the best is a spray contact cleaner for electronics.

The other sneaky one that will cause your symptoms bit my 88 after I changed the CPS for nothing when the plug clean didn't work is a bad ground strap from the back of the engine head to the firewall. These go ratty easy and the body can steal some ground, but not enough to be stable.

Mike

Mike Romain

You can not bypass the Crank Position Sensor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Your 87 was carburated and did not have a CPS.

Perhaps the 4 bangers had fuel injection in those days, in this case it would have had the CPS.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

A fellow coworker has an 87 Cherokee with F.I.

6 Banger.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
FrankW