Cherokee Crankshaft Position Sensor

Hello all. I have to change the CPS on my 1994 Jeep Cherokee (4.0 eng). Has anyone changed one of these recently and have any input on the easiest way to get at it? It's in a horrible location to try and reach. Thanks :-)

Reply to
Sara Brown

The CPS has a defective plug and socket. Changing it only fixes half the trouble usually because only half the plug gets changed.

On some models, it is so bad they recommend either soldering the connection or changing to another style plug.

Might I suggest a really good clean of the plug and socket for the CPS with an electronic contact cleaner followed by a good smear of dielectric grease on the plug's seal skirts.

This may fix it, or it may indeed be done in. I had two people on the last one I changed, one to hold the socket and it's needed universal joint on the bolt, one down under with a pile of extensions turning the wrench.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hello all. I have to change the CPS on my 1994 Jeep Cherokee (4.0
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

Thanks..I may just do away with the plug altogether as there is plenty of extra wire in the length to work with..I`ll report back :-)

Reply to
Sara Brown

Just as a quick follow up: I found that by riding the front of my Jeep up on a set of ramps and then disconnecting the front drive shaft I was able to lie under it and with a 3/8" ratchet and a long extension I could get a 7/16th socket on the two bolts and it wasn`t to difficult getting the sensor off..I had little luck from above.

Reply to
Sara Brown

Yep. It's a true pain in the ass to get that sensor out.

I actually found that jacking the frame up and lowering the front axle gave me more room.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
man of machines

Funny, I have 'cleaned' dozens and told dozens others to clean theirs with 'great' success.

The trick with both the CPS and TPS is they are low power computer signal plugs so they don't have to 'look' bad to not allow the signal to pass 'stable'. A power crackle in a high power analog system is ignored, a crackle in a digital system is a signal.

Even though my TPS plug and socket looked perfect when the $tealership told me it was shot and needed a new one back in 1997 or so, I ignored them and cleaned it. It was still working perfectly 10 years later when we sold the Cherokee. It did get three or four more cleans over the years, but....

The clean is cheap and fast. If it works, great, if it doesn't, well the OP didn't waste much time or money on it.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

man of mach> i have replaced hundreds since 1987 and have yet to see a bad connector

Reply to
Mike Romain