Location of camshaft position sensor?

Continuing saga of my daughter's Sentra GXE(1999, not 2000). AFter cleaning the distributor from oil, it ran for the past week just fine. But
yesterday, it died again after running rough for a few minutes. I thought maybe the oil has again contaminated the distributor again, but, nope, it was dry. The check engine came up and it shows code P0340 CMP sensor (CAMshaft position sensor). So where is this thing located in a GA16DE engine? Can someone tell me where it is or send me a JPG pic to cmdrdata at mail dot com? Thanks.

The cam position sensor is in the distributor. Unplug all the harness connectors for the distributor and plug them back in. Hopefully it's just a loose connection. If it continues to fail you have to replace the entire distributor as they are one unit.
CD
Codifus, thanks for the quick reply. While waiting for anyone to answer my post, I called a local Nissan dealer (Courtesy Nissan whom in the past has been very competitive and good pricing wise when compared to Autozone) and the parts guy said they have the sensor for ~ $46 (internet pricing). So I am going there soon to pick this up. Is he selling me a different part than the one you described? This car's distributor does have 2 plugs, a 6-pin plug and 2 or 3-pin plug on its side, which I would guess is the one if indeed the CPS is built-into the distributor.

He probably quoted you the cranksahft position sensor. Easily mistaken over the phone.
CD
My initial contact to the dealer was email, and I specifically capitalized the word "CAMshaft" and gave him the P0340 code, but I think you are right. He probably is not a mechanic that knows the difference between the two. In my own Maxima, I did replace the CRANKshaft pos. sensor last year.

Nissan's terminology may have contributed to the confusion. The early factory service manuals for the old E16 engine named the sensor in the distributor the "crank angle sensor" though it obviously monitors the cam position. Eventually Nissan changed terminology. In any event, no matter what anybody calls it, indeed it cannot be obtained separately. You can only buy a whole distributor assembly. Good luck. Al
al wrote:

Maybe it was called a crank angle sensor because the E16 was an OHC engine, whereas the GA16DE is a DOHC motor, so the OHC has a more direct rotational relationship with the crankshaft when compared to the DOHC motor.
CD

That's an interesting point. Although in any four cycle engine the camshaft, or camshafts in a DOHC design, must turn at half engine speed, you're right that with a single camshaft every position of the camshaft corresponds to a single point in the cycle. You need the positions of both camshafts to get that with a DOHC. Good thinking!