Jeep add on parts?

Hi. I am about to sell my 91 YJ (actually give, to a grandson) and am trying to deside between a 98 Sahara-38,000 miles, and a 02 Sahara-48,000 miles. Not a "big" difference in price. (probably go for the newer--98 is green-02 cranberry?..lol) Question, is there any reasonably priced carriers for a kayak, or canoe?. I don't want a big total top rack system. Is there something that can be hooked on front & rear bumpers, for a rack??.

Reply to
jackoamerica

You didn't say what kind of top you are thinking of getting. With the fiberglass or plastic hard top, a set of Thule or Yakima cross bars mounted on fake rain gutters can be used to carry a canoe or kayak, although one of the longer canoes might not be a good idea. A set of foam blocks and rope, that you get at a canoe store, might even work. I don't like them except for short distances, unless mounted on a decent roof rack. Now if you are thinking of a soft (convertible) top, then "a big total top rack system" is probably necessary. You can't just stick a canoe on a soft top, with a set of foam blocks. You can't really put it on the roll bars either, with the top down, unless of course you are insane.

You can find the "a big total top rack system" here.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I just got this for my birthday, with the utility cross bars:

So far I like it and it's quiet.

Seahag

wrote:

Reply to
Seahag

You might want to check on Bestop's modular rack system:

You could combine the cockpit rack brackets with the upper cargo rack brackets and probably get the job done for less money and have a removable rack system that wasn't too much of a hassle. It says that each rack system can hold 200 pounds so between the two that's a 400 pound capacity (don't know if that's enough for you or not).

Good luck,

Nat Man

Reply to
Nat Man