Jeep Announces Lifetime Power Train Warranty

Starting with '07 Jeeps purchased 07-25-07 Jeep is offering a "Lifetime" Power Train warranty. If the terms are similar to the 7/70 I have on my '04 TJ it could be verrry useful. The 7/70 has already saved me hundreds. Chrysler products will also have the same coverage.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

That is only in Canada isn't it?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I think it's in the US also.

XS11E

Hmm..

That might help swing my decision over to purchasing a new Jeep...

Only thing is the powertrain may cost some bucks to fix but the electronics can chew your wallet a new one in no time flat. :(

Reply to
DougW

I didn't pay close enough attention to the news, but I think it is only in one country, so it would be in the US only then, not in Canada.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Ditto. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I would love to see the fine print because they do not post details on the web as it says "see dealer for details". I have o doubt that it is "limited" as name suggests. I was looking at some nice couches last several weeks and one brand a "limited" life time warranty too and the fine print was it was "limited" to as long as that style was still being made. Yes is was a couch but the point is limited lifetime warranties can be misleading and get you with fine print.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I'm tempted to go get a little rubber stamp made with tiny tiny tiny font that says " can back out of this contract at any time for any reason" and then stamp it very subtly at the bottom of everything I sign when the other person isn't paying attention.

Time for a little reverse justice.

Reply to
griffin

Borrow some tricks from my playbook. :)

Demand a full legal copy of the contract be provided prior to your signature. (A legal copy must be notarized) It's a pain in the ass the dealerships don't like to do but "depending on your state" have to.

Prior to signing the contract make them go over every line of the contract, word at a time, to included all attachments, ammendments, etc.

Be prepared, this can take hours.

But why not, after all they usually enjoy wasting your time running back and forth to get offers approved.

Now your wasting time on thier clock. Make sure your not just wasting the sales drones time, get the credit manager and as many honchos in there as you can.

Just make sure you don't drink too much coffee/soda/water so the "urgency" falls on the folks your dealing with. ;)

Oh yea.. the other trick.

Set a firm time of n minutes for the "got to get my bosses aproval" (I've used 2 min) If they don't return in time, walk and come back at a later date. That's just a delay tactic they use to wear you down and make you think they are actually doing something. In fact they are usually just betting how much they can get out of you.

You can also come equipped with your own contract. Make sure you write down every thing they promise and include it as a legally binding ammendment to your contract. Or pen it directly on the contract they provide.

At all times, remember it's your money and your time.

Reply to
DougW

Sometimes it's well worth it ...

Reply to
griffin

Jeep warranty info for Canada is here:

budman

An excellent illustration of this sales technique is depicted in the movie "Fargo"... the scene in which a new car buyer is haggling with the salesman, Jerry Lundegaard, about paying for "TruCoat".

Mark '93 XJ

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

I was thinking of that very scene as I was reading that post. :) I love that movie.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Makes one question the life of the new jeeps

SNSPRT

I guess they figure the Americans aren't likely to keep a Jeep as long as a Canadian or something so they don't figure they will have to pay out?

The Canadian Warranty is only for 100,000 'kilometers' or about 62000 miles eh.

Mike

SNSPRT wrote:

Mike Romain

The length of the warranty has nothing to do with the life or reliability, it's an advertising gimmick and some repairs under a long warranty are actually charged to advertising.

You may recall years back when Chrysler started a longer warranty, Ford and GM immediately followed so Chrysler had the advantage for only a short time and soon everyone went back to shorter warranties.

Reply to
XS11E

Would the electronic stuff be included in the definition of "powertrain"

- the stability and traction controls, ABS, etc?

Brian