What tools do I need to replace a U-joint?

My 2002 wrangler x is making an awful noise when in 4wd. Its kinda like a grinding/torquing metal sound with some pops here and there. A buddy of mine said it really sounded like a bad u-joint. My brother listened to it and said he head it coming from the front passenger wheel. So basically I am going to try and replace that u-joint and see if it works. If not, well, it probably needs to be replaced anyways.

So my question is, do I only need some basic tools to do this? Also, is the procedure simple? Can I actually do the replacement to the joint when it is still on the Jeep or will I have to take the whole thing out in order to knock the old one loose?

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
pavewaythree

It is about 3 hours labor....

The hub must come out which can be a serious pain in the butt depending on how close to the rust belt you live.

Before I type out how to do it, I will give you a test procedure to make sure that is the trouble.

You need to jack up the wheel and cut the steering to the side, then hand spin it while watching the u-joint behind the wheel hub for movement and feeling for a jam when you hand spin the tire.

You also look for rust stains at the u-joint caps or 'any' play at the caps.

Let us know about that, then the details will follow.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
billhughes

You need a very big socket and impact drive. Very expensive unless you can find the import at Harbor Freight (as I did) or the like.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Our local auto parts stores will lend out the big axle nut if you are changing out your hub or axle, but there is no need for that to change out a u-joint. The axle pulls out with the hub and you just change the joint at the back side. Unbolting the center nut just gives the hub a chance to blow apart.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I'm with Mike on this one. If you live in the salt belt, this can be one tough project. Supposedly you just remove the tire, remove the slide pins on the caliper, remove 3 bolts that hold the hub, and pull the hub, U joint, and axle out. But the hub likes to rust solid to the steering knuckle. That turns a 15 minute teardown using basic tools into a 4 hour session of profanity.

Check out the post> My 2002 wrangler x is making an awful noise when in 4wd. Its kinda

Reply to
RoyJ

After doing a bunch and having a sacrificial bolt 'and' putting it together the last time with antiseize, I had it down to an hour to change out one of those total pieces of crap they call a 'lifetime' U-joint that only lasted a year....

Mike

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Stop abusing your google, Bill, the grandkids might see you.....

Reply to
N. (Nancy) Huge IIIII

MIke's sacrificial bolt technique is the best for getting the hub off. Also, if you are taking off the nut, you can do it without impact drive, you will need to heat it up and put lots of PB blaster on it and then use a big breaker bar, it is best to repeat the heating and lubing over several days (took me about a week). I was able to remoive it like this from my very rusted '95 YJ.

Reply to
nrs

Aye, that ye be.

Reply to
Claude Horribly

Stop me, LardButt.

Not your 'buds,' /you/, psychopath.

I can go where I choose and when I choose.

As an Amurrican, that's an option you don't have.

Sillie Billie.

Reply to
Claude Horribly

You are so ashamed of your parent that you don't use their name, of course the way you act I would disown you too. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Excuse me, but you don't have parents, you have suspects.

Recipe for a Psychopath:

Emotional & Interpersonal Glib & Superficial Egocentric & Grandiose Lack of Remorse or Guilt Lack of Empathy Deceitful & Manipulative Shallow Emotions Social Deviance Impulsive Poor Behavior Controls Need for Excitement Lack of Responsibility Early Behavior Problems Adult Antisocial Behavior

This is your life,

L.W. "Cooyon Billy" Goatman-Hughes III

Reply to
24Bit®

Wrong again, Lard Butt.

I'll post that trait list again if ya want, but you wouldn't like it any better than the first time around.

Lugheser.

Reply to
Pink Freud

A Random Sampling of Capricorn Traits

o CONSERVERATIVE

Most Capricorn are in favour of conserving assets and are firm supporters of all things traditional and conventional. They can also become fanatical moralists, opposing anything that contradicts their view of the world.

o AUTHORITARIAN

The Capricorn's need to be in control can even extend to the outer limits of authoritarianism. They distrust anything spontaneous, if it tends to deflect them from their sense of purpose which is to go all out to change their environment to suit their needs. o The Dark Side

Capricorns can be extremely rigid and pessimistic in their outlook; and gloomy and depressed (and depressing) in their interaction with other people. they can also be emotionally cold and inhibited. The prudent and cautious side of the Capricorn nature can be taken to extremes, too, sometimes into the unsociable realm of the miser.

o Rigid, hash, ruthless, cold, over-exacting, pessimistic, over-conventional, miserly, licentious, a 'wet-blanket'.

o Possessiveness, control, coldness and aloofness, lack of emotional tolerance or depth, materialistic, narrow minded, vindictive, bitter, melancholy.

o coldness, conservatism, rigidity, materialism, and dullness.

o Pessimistic and fatalistic; Miserly and grudging; Over conventional and rigid

o Stubborn, overbearing, unforgiving, inhibited, fatalistic, condescending.

QED.

SW

Reply to
Pink Freud

No.

Reply to
Pink Freud

Any sensible chihuahua, being close to a 320+ Lard Butt like you, would be dumber than ... than ... well, Bill Hughes ... to use their name or address.

Hell, a chihuahua wouldn't even be a decent snack for a BIG MAN like you.

Anyway, it's 'woof' from him and 'miao' from me......

Lard Butt.

BB

Reply to
Bodhi Bhagg

1) a U-joint

2) a brain

3) a U-joint fixer

Nota Bene: Do /not/ use a U-joint puller. If you pull'a U joint once more in public, you face charges. Calm down bucko, that's legal charges, not lusty charges at your anal sphincter.

Yep, right after you deal with all those good folks who are STILL WAITING for you to take their ISPs; they've been waiting a long time, Llewdellen. Get on your pony and, nah, never mind, you have your hands and mouth full of goat.

See ya round the Prozac dispensary ...... "Where losers come to meet."

And you'd better make it a double.

`
Reply to
Claude Horribly