Question on 7/70000 Powertrain warranty

So after years of wanting one, I finally got a Jeep :-). Its a 2005 Rubicon I bought from a dealership. They got it as a trade-in on a Toyota minivan. At the time of purchase, 8 days ago, they told me that since its a dealer purchase I have the option to transfer the

7/70 powertrain warranty for $150.00. The 36000 miles/3 years warranty already comes with the vehicle. Is it worth it? Or is it one of those deals where in order to keep the warranty, I'll have to have all service and repairs, no matter how trivial, done at the dealership, and when something actually does break they'll say, "Oh, this is just normal wear and tear." or "If you look at the footnote to paragraph 8 on page 79 of your warranty agreement, you'll see that its not covered." Thanks for any advice!
Reply to
Ripley59

Think of it this way, the 3/36000 is bumper-to-bumper (minus the wear parts like tires/brakes/battery) The 7/70 being powertrain is any driven or driving part. Engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, axles. Any one of those will cost at least $100 to have the dealer look at. I'd say it's money well spent for peace of mind. Unless you prefer to do your own repairs. In which case you should get the service book now.

I got that on my 93 ZJ and used is many times to get the seals replaced on the transmission and transfer case. The dealer didn't even flinch at mods, but they did have to pry the techs away from time to time. :)

Reply to
DougW

Mostly, if you break it you are going to buy it, however I took the extended warranty on my '06 Rubicon Unlimited principally to get coverage for the engine. There has been some history of head problems in the '00 and newer 4.0s. At $150 to transfer, I'd go for it. Warranty repairs of course have to be done at a dealer, but routine maintenance can be done anywhere, as long as you keep records (receipts for oil and filters and such).

Reply to
jeff

I don't have my warranty in front of me, but:

1.) Are you sure you have to 'transfer' the warranty? I assumed it was a manufacturer's warranty that was instantly transferrable. 2.) If so, are you sure there is a _charge_ to transfer the warranty?

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

basic powertrain Jeep Warranty (2001 or older) 3 years/36,000 miles 3 years/36,000 Jeep Warranty (some 2002) 3 years/36,000 miles 7 years/100,000 Jeep Warranty (2002-2005) 3 years/36,000 miles 7 years/70,000 Jeep Warranty (2006 and later) 3 years/36,000 miles 3 years/36,000

These are "standard" warranties. Many dealers offer extended warranty packages from Chrysler or independent sources.

AFAIK Jeep has always quoted warranties in miles in the US. I don't know about other countries. Canada is somewhere that would probably use kilometers instead of miles.

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

From what I have heard dealers and manufacturers can be real foot-draggers when it comes time to honor a power train warranty. Power train damage is after all expensive. This is a real screwy deal from what I see in this thread. Many of your used car purchases are from a used car dealer, or a Jeep bought at a Chevy dealer, something like that. Are you saying that the

7/70 power train warranty is void in that case?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

So why would one have to pay 150 dollars to transfer the powertrain warranty? Sounds like a dealer rip-off to me. Unless he speaks of an "extended warranty" Which is a rip-off in itself af far as I'm concerned

Frank_v7.0 wrote:

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Interesting twist on the 7/70. Mine is an '03. I would pay the $150 if it was necessary and take the chance that they would actually honor it. Sounds like a good bet.

tw

Frank_v7.0 wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Thanks everyone for all the info. I was inclined to spend the $150 anyway, but I'll go talk to the dealer tomorrow about it. Now I'm wondering if the Toyota dealership wanted to charge me $150 just to file a piece of paper that I could file myself for free.

Reply to
Ripley59

That's what I was wondering.

tw

Ripley59 wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
Me Know

Never heard of that, never done that. Never had a problem getting warranty work done.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

This also puts you on their mailing list for recall notices. And don't forget junk mail. Before I knew better, I paid a Honda dealer $5 to be put on their junk mail list. I won't be paying it next time, if the Honda ever wears out.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton