jeep just shut off.....Help

Was out test driving my 90 wrangler 4.2 5 speed w/air. Hit a few bumps, went through a few puddles. 1/4 mile later, the jeep just died... When I hit the key it is dead, no idiot lights, nada.... However, the battery is fully charged, the 4 ways work, and the head lights work. Where in gods name do I begin to touble shoot.... There is power going to the starter, I did the ol screwdriver test...

Thanks again for the help in advance....

John

Reply to
J D

Maybe the connecting rod fell off the ignition switch? The key switch part is up top with a metal rod running down the steering column to the switch. The actual ignition switch is down low on the steering column. The switch is also adjustable, maybe the bolts fell out?

Mike

J D wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yup, good place to start. The rod on my '88 YJ was bent when I bought it and before I got it fixed, I had to use a pair of vice grips to pre-pull the rod before using the key in order to get it to start. But of course the 4-ways and other non-ignition related things all worked. Have fun with the column tho - I ended up with a yogurt container full of extra parts after I put it back together. Guess I shoulda got a manual. ;p

Reply to
griffin