Jeep Liberty 2.4L engine enough?

A local dealer has a 5-speed 2002 Liberty with a 2.4L engine. It only was a few thousand miles but is selling at a several thousand dollar discount to to a comparable 2003 model because there isn't much demand for a used Jeep with a stick.

I'd like to hear whether people who have tried then 2.4L engine think it is enough. I rarely drive much more than 5000ft above sea level and spend most of my time on pavement. Dirt roads on fishing trips and snow are the most serious off-roading I do. No towing.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Steele
*****I would say the lack of demand is because of the 2.4.

: : I'd like to hear whether people who have tried then 2.4L engine think : it is enough. I rarely drive much more than 5000ft above sea level : and spend most of my time on pavement. Dirt roads on fishing trips : and snow are the most serious off-roading I do. No towing. :

*****Even if you were off-road inclined you don't need big power as long as its geared properly so your needs should be focusing on the ratio of city to highway driving. If you seldom take long highway trips, stay out of the mountains and don't tow than the 2.4 with the 5 speed may be just the ticket.

The dealer has acknowledged that there is not much of a demand for that particular vehicle (for whatever reason), take it out for a good test drive... 30 minutes or better and put it through its paces. If you're satisfied with it, see how much more the dealer will come down on it. Good luck,

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

It is significantly underpowered. The 2.4L engine will not really do what you need. The demand for this car is not there, so most dealerships try to get rid of them dirt cheap. Especially with a car that weight as much as the Liberty does, spend the extra cash and get the 6-Cyl if you are really interested.

Reply to
Jacob

The 4 cyl 2.4 l engine for the Liberty is a waste of time. Don't know why Jeep even offered that power plant. Go for the 3.7l six.

Reply to
Stephen Green

And I'm thinking, it's likely a 2wd as well. If so, do you suppose dealers are "obliged" to one or two of these on the lot :-)

Reply to
bowgus

Reply to
attnews

No, it's 4WD. Everyting is perfect except for the engine, so I am passing on it.

Reply to
Jack Steele

Jeep Liberty--the K-Car of the Jeep lineage.

Approximately 10/23/03 07:40, attnews uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

lol.....i never thought about that one lon.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

*IF* it is manual(stick), then the smaller 4 is actually fine for off-road, but it will suck around town. I guess it depends how much below cost they are willing to give it to you for.
Reply to
Joseph Oberlander