used jeep quality?

I heard someone say that they've never seen a used Jeep that wasn't a POS. Is that true? If one were buying a Jeep (Wrangler), should one choose brand new over late model used because of reliability/defect issues?

Brian

You want one that's never been off road...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well, "someone" always has an opinion, so you came to the right place, the home of opinions!

A used Jeep is like any other vehicle, if the previous owner(s) took care of it, it will likely continue to be a good vehicle. If not, well.....

Rule of thumb, newer and lower mileage will be better than older and higher. With short-wheelbase Jeeps, however, the buff factor comes in. Many of us love the old CJs and will put up with anything to keep them on the road & trail. YJ Wranglers are best after '91 (EFI engine management), TJs are outstanding but, of course, newer and more expensive. If it was me buying another one, I'd go for a low mileage 4.0L TJ Sport with the Dana 44 rear axle.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

These days its more like Ive never seen a new jeep that wasnt a pos. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

keep in mind the 4.0L starting in 1997 had some block design changes. expect a coolant leak betweek the 3 and 4 cylinders under the intake manifold.

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

No, this is not true at all. It is certainly not any more true than a statement that all used Mustangs are trashed, or that used BMWs are junk, or used anything else it crap. The Crap Factor has a lot to do with the seller.

If one were buying a Jeep (Wrangler), should one

No. One should choose a new one because they like new stuff, or a used one if they can tolerate Coke spilled on the floor and a few parking lot dings.

Reply to
CRWLR

Owning a Jeep is like being with a woman. You have to put money into her to keep her happy. I see no difference in an old versus new Jeep except cost. It's also more fun to work on an "older" Jeep... cutting yourself on steels just feels better than a plastic cut.

Reply to
Joe

or custom drain holes and a family of cats living under the hood, depending on how long it's sat there

Reply to
MudPuppy1976

I bought a '97 TJ (wrangler) last year with 68K on the ticker. 4.0L, Hard top, AC, sound bar, rear seat, near-perfect, $9600. Anyway, it's been a GREAT vehicle. I've put 12K on it now. It had not been offroad by the looks of it when I bought it (it has now !) It does not use or leak a drop of oil, runs smooth and strong, and other than replacing a oil pressure sensor that was bad when I bought it, and the battery and brakes and tires and plugs and filters (normal stuff in other words) it has been no hassles. Great vehicle. i love it.

Just be smart, buy a 4.0L (less likely to have been run hard), have it checked out and/or use common sense. In my case the vehicle was so obviously cherry that I didn't it checked out and the roll of the dice worked for me.

I can't figure out where the whole "Jeep is a POS" thing comes from. Ask a Jeep owner, any Jeep owner you see, if he/she likes their Jeep. I did that about ten times before i bought mine and every single one said they loved it and had minimal problems.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Like mine! Those scratches and dents in my skid plates are part of a trim package! ;-)

Reply to
TJim

...and the buyer...

Reply to
TJim

Those are valid considerations too.

Reply to
CRWLR

Bought my '97 TJ last year with 67K miles it. GREAT vehicle. Not a single problem other than an OP sensor that was bad when I bought it.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen