Jeep OEM Navigation Radio

I am considering upgrading my factory AM/FM CD player in my 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport to the Jeep RB1 Navigation Radio. Of course I would install the unit myself for approx. $600.00 instead of the dealer charge of $1500.00. I do like the all in one features, convenience & dash location. The only drawback I can see is it won't play ripped MP3 disks. Looking for feedback from owners with this option installed before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

John - '02 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Reply to
John Robert

I bet the thieves like that 'all-in-one' feature too. Be careful.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > I am considering upgrading my factory AM/FM CD player in my 2002 Jeep

Reply to
twaldron

John Robert did pass the time by typing:

For the money I'd look at aftermarket. You can get a very good radio with MP3/DVD/XM and Navigation. Check out your local audiophile shops where they build competition audio systems.

I started out just to add a bit more bass to my system and wound up competing in IASCA.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
philthy

H&B Audio make a nice head unit (CA-5555i) that takes USB, SD inputs, as well as regular CD's. The USB input is also iPod compatible.

Recently, JVC also announced something along those lines, and I've also seen similar units on eBay, but I've never had the chance to try them out.

The H&B unit also has traffic alerts (it's not the same as navigation or built-in GPS), but it can receive data messages via FM.

The only problem is that it's a half-DIN size meaning, you'll need an adapter plate to install it in a Jeep.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
mrbogus