2004 Jeep Wrangler press release

from

DaimlerChrysler recently released their product summaries for the 2004 Jeep lineup - here's the Wrangler info:

No vehicle illustrates the legendary Jeep® 4x4 capability more than the Jeep Wrangler, the heart and soul of the Jeep brand. Jeep Wrangler is the ?icon? of the brand, offering open-air fun with award-winning off-road capability to young buyers as well as seasoned off-road enthusiasts. Adding a new chapter to the Wrangler legacy, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon model made its debut in 2003 with a Jeep-engineered extreme off-road package that continues into the 2004 model year in limited production. The Jeep Rubicon model builds on the award-winning capability of the Wrangler with an off-road system that includes locking front and rear differentials, front and rear Dana model 44 axles and a 4:1 low-range transfer case. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is the most capable off-road Jeep yet, straight out of the showroom. Jeep Wranglers are now available in right-hand versions for the North American markets for purposes such as rural postal delivery. Additionally for 2004, the AM/FM/CD is the standard radio configuration, tilt steering wheel is now standard on the X and SE, leather-wrapped steering wheel is packaged with speed control and a new spare tire cover for the 30-inch tire is available. The Jeep Wrangler lineup for 2004 includes X, SE, Sport, Rubicon and Sahara soft top models. A hard top with full steel doors, roll-up windows and tinted glass is available on all models. Also optional is a dual-top package that includes both a hard top and soft top in matching colors. For 2004, a new Ravine aluminum wheel design is standard on Sahara models and optional on Sport models. The Jeep Wrangler X, Sport, Sahara and Rubicon models feature the 4.0-liter PowerTech I-6, which is rated at 190 horsepower (142 kW) at 4600 rpm and 235 lb.-ft. (319 N?m) of torque at 3200 rpm. The 2.4-liter engine provides 150 horsepower (112 kW) at 5200 rpm and 165 lb.-ft. (224 N?m) of torque at 4000 rpm. For 2004, the Jeep Wrangler?s new exterior colors are Electric Lime Green and Solar Yellow. Sold in 100 countries around the world, Jeep Wrangler is available in right- and left-hand drive versions. Wrangler is built at DaimlerChrysler?s Toledo (Ohio) Stickney Avenue Assembly Plant.

Reply to
Mark12211

....just as well i suppose. if they offer the v8 before they go over to IFS ill trade up. otherwise ill just drive the one i have and do a v8 swap a few years down the road.

either way i think im going to get mine painted (since theyre going to have to paint it anyway due to the flaws, ill see if i can kick in a few bucks for a different color). i really like the O.D. green color ive seen on the new xterras.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

get your signs ready. :-(

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

If they do an IFS Wrangler, I'll personnally pickett the Toledo plant!

Reply to
Big Daddy

you'd be safe enough - with IFS it won't have the ground clearance to drive over you :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > ....just as well i suppose. if they offer the v8 before they go : > over : > to IFS ill trade up. otherwise ill just drive the one i have and do a v8 : > swap a few years down the road. : >

: > either way i think im going to get mine painted (since theyre going to : > have to paint it anyway due to the flaws, ill see if i can kick in a few : > bucks : > for a different color). i really like the O.D. green color ive seen on : > the new xterras. : : If they do an IFS Wrangler, I'll personnally pickett the Toledo plant!

Reply to
Dave Milne

So. .funny...

....and sad.

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tolcher

Heck with 2004, that model year is already upon us. What's going to happen for 2005? Any informed sources (please, no major change yet, please give TJ one full decade, at least).

Brian

This is probably true but a manufacturer can still sell a two-seater Corvette and a two-door Camaro or Firebird with a V8 engine, not to mention the power plants you can get in European imports, and the fact that "trucks" sold in this country are by and large used as ersatz muscle cars. F***ing hypocrites.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

?

i dont understand why that would apply to a tj though. a tj is just shy of

4000 pounds. doesnt look it i know....
Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

All that's missing is a diesel engine! (Great fuel economy and low torque for off-road).

2.5L engine no longer available in the UK.

Rubicon not available in the UK.

How long before the Wrangler is no longer available in the UK?

Reply to
Ivanmorley

for clarification, the 2.5 isnt available _anywhere_ anymore.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Not sure where you're getting that number.

Base curb weigfht of a 2003 TJ is 3231 for a manual, 3268 for an auto, according to jeep.com. GVWR is 4450.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Hi Bill -

Curb weight is a standard term. It is the weight of an empty vehicle (without passengers or payload), but including oil, gas, coolant, and standard equipment.

I suppose that DC could be misstating the curb weight of TJs by 750 lbs, but I don't see the motivation for this, it's not like they make a big deal out of how light a Jeep is.

If it really makes a difference to somebody (e.g., a trrucking company, or perhaps the EPA) DC would be guilty of fraud if they deliberately misstated an easily ascertainable fact to this extent.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

i weighed my individual components "weigh" back when... and i remember there was something like a ~25 lb difference per door (half vs full w/ windows) ~near 100lb difference between my friend's stock SE wheels/tires (set of 5) and my gamblers with 31" m/t tires (probably similar in weight to the mtr... these tires are heavy people :) ~ backseat (not standard and perhaps nopt counted into curb weight) is what..

30 lbs or so? ~ hard top vs soft top.. theres another 100 or so lbs right there. ~ whatever the difference between i4 and i6 weight are.. (the i6 is a pretty heavy engine from what i understand) ~ factory subwoofer (i didnt have one, but its probably in the 25 lb range) ~ rubicon's drivetrain... whatever weight the lockers, upgraded axles (the d44 was a good bit heavier than the d35 when i had mine replaced)

i can see how the actual curb weight can differ greatly from the claimed, assuming its just a non optioned standard jeep they based the number on...

-Steve 98 TJ

Reply to
Goat Crapp

Steve -

These are really good points. I went back and looked at jeep.com again. The number they quote is for a base SE. The weight of the different engines, the rear seat, full doors with glass, and the hard top taken together might well account for a good chunk of the missing

750 lbs or so we are talking about. Having just lugged my rear seat up to its permanent home in my attic, I think its a lot more than 30 lbs. OTOH, having just moved my sub to a different console, I think it doesn't weigh very much at all.

So, I think you guys could be right, it could be near 4000 lbs or so for a loaded sport/sahara or a rubicon. I would still bet that the weight quoted by DC is exactly correct (including fuel and oil) for a base SE.

I'm curious enough now that I'm going to try driving through the scales at our landfill (they weigh you on the way in and out). I'll post the number here (sahara soft top plus heavier bumpers, tuffy console, drawer, and cage, minus rear seat and side steps).