jeep oil pressure

hello, i have a question i have found to be answered on this news group, but never specificaly to my jeep. i have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee V-8 5.2L all wheel drive.70,000 miles just recently the oil pressure started dropping. when driving, the pressure is fine but when at a light or in park it drops to just above zero and the light comes on.if you put it in nuetrel or park and rev the engine the pressure goes up and down with the engine rpm's bu this doesn't always happen, sometimes the pressure stays fine, anyone have any ideas, i am going to florida on friday. thanks Joe

Reply to
pooteo

pooteo did pass the time by typing:

Hard to say, 0 indicates a short in the wire or sender, but with low pressure I have to hedge my bets. i.e. if it was reading 80 (which is impossible) it is almost always the sender.

My feeling is you have a bad sender, but you would be better off putting a gauge on the fitting and checking at the block.

True 0 is a sign of oil pump failure and beleive me if oil pressure acually went to 0 for a while you would hear it. 0 psi = no oil for the lifters = clackey clackety clackety..etc.. :)

Reply to
DougW

You may have low pressure when the engine is hot and at idle due to thin/worn oil. When is the last time it had an oil & filter change and what viscosity oil are you using? You say it occurs at different times - do the symptoms appear after any journey, or just after a long journey (say 30 miles or more, when the oil may be hotter)

Reply to
Danny

Reply to
philthy

I agree, it would be foolish to say the least to take your jeep on a trip without having your dealer check it out. Whatever the cause, it should get diagnoised and fixed before your trip.

Larry

Reply to
larry

"larry" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Aluminum oil pumps, get it replaced with a good steel one. Known problem. Reference jasper.com, the engine builders, they make mention of it.

Reply to
Rich Pierson