1989 F150 Oil Pressure Problem

I'm having an odd problem with my oil pressure. When the engine is cold, everything runs fine, good oil pressure, etc. As the engine starts warming up, when I am sitting at a red light, the oil pressure starts dipping down a bit, no other symptoms in the engine though. Once the engine is fully warmed up, again sitting at a light, the oil pressure drops to 0 and the engine will die. I can keep the pressure up by holding the RPM's above 900, but this is killing my brakes, and can't bee too good on the transmission (automatic). Also, everything runs fine so long as I don't try stopping. The engine is a 302 V8 Fuel injection. I originally thought that thte oil pump was the problem, but it's still doing it even with a new pump. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Eric

Oil pumps very seldome cause oil pressure problems (as you are describing) this was from a oil pump manufacture web page. Oil pressure is caused by the resistande of the oil against the beasrings. So after you put a direct reading gauge on the oil system to verify the pressure is reading and you dont have a faulty gauge, then move up to a thicker oil or rebuild the engine. Steve

Reply to
Steve Hansen

I had the same problem with the same engine in my '87. Never did solve the problem even after several different sensors. Sold the truck with 130,000 miles on it and it was running strong, with low oil pressure. I guess it's not a problem. But, it does cause one to worry.

Reply to
Mellowed

Have you replaced the oil pressure switch? that was the trouble with my 92 bronco

Reply to
dwayne

Low oil pressure is almost always due to worn rod bearings. Sometimes also mains and camshaft bearings, but usually rod bearings. You can compensate by going to a high-volume oil pump. As someone else said, use thicker oil like 20W-50

But......check it with a mechanical gauge. 20 psi at idle would be plenty. Ford oil pressure gauges are allegedly not much more than an idiot light with a pointer. If the needle moves, you've got pressure and that's all Ford thinks you need to know. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:03:00 +0000, Eric rearranged some electrons to form:

Loose bearing clearances. Try 20W50 oil.

Reply to
David M

Reply to
dont_pick_up_the_phone

had a mustang 302. oil pressure was very low 1-5 if lucky. ran that way for over 50,000 miles. eventually had a rebuild and then i got normal oil pressure back. I have been told that the ford engines develop excess clearence in the bearings and this is the cause. ....oh...i used 20w-50 and got a few more psi probably kept it going for a while.

Reply to
Brian