Jeep TJ Rear Identification

I have done some searches, but haven't found any way to identify the rear differential on my 1998 Jeep TJ. I am assuming it is a 30 front, 35 rear, but I was just wondering what identifying marks should I look for? How can I tell that I have the 35? I am asking this question due to the fact that I bought this jeep used, and it has a bunch of other upgrades (from factory). What identifying marks would the d44 have?

1998 Jeep TJ Sport
Reply to
Simple

What? Bill hasn't posted a link yet?

He must be busy.

Reply to
Al B. Back

LOL

Reply to
Simple

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Simple

Dave Shannon snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Spring Valley CA) '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply to
Dave Shannon

I bet he has ABS brakes, which would get him the 35.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Nope, no abs according to the breakdown. Strange eh?

Reply to
Simple

You don't need to call anybody.

Look at the diff. If it looks like an apple (a Washington Delicious apple to be precise), then you have a D44. If it looks like anything else and you have a D35C, or a TJ that has been modified, in which case the dealer won't be much help.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Lots of pictures of Dana axles here...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If it looks like an apple on its side, it is a D44, otherwise it is a D35C. Another trait of the D35C is the fill hole has a rubber stopper in it, the D44 gets a screw-in plug.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That must make mine real, since my front axle does...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)