Jeep Wrangler TJ Cat Kat Back Installl finished

I just finished installing my Pacesetter TFX Kat Back Exhaust on my 97 TJ. It took much longer than usual (half the day) with no mechanical experience. The toughest part was problems with corrosion. The muffler clamp was so rusted that i had to sawzall it off, which wasnt easy cause the damn space between the cat and muffler is so tight. I had to sawzall the muffler inlet in a spiral and heat it with my blow torch for 10 minutes while two of my friends muscled and twisted it out. From there it was easy.

As for sound, it was much louder than i expected on my 4.0, but its a strong throaty sound that will probably turn heads. It roars from

3000 rpm's and up. As for perfomance, it added a nice but expected kick in the midrange. No comment on fuel economy just yet, but i suspect it will improve.

Only real error was it isnt built for tow hitches. At idle the tailpipe rattles against the hitch bolts which sounds like crap. A few adjustments will fix it though. ITs definetly worth the low price tag ($169 from acmejeep) and is quite easy to install even if you have no idea what the hell youre doing.

Reply to
Derek Proctor

Next time try tighting the clamps untill they break off. Use 6 point socket. sometimes hammering on clamp area will loosen bond of muff. to pipe.

"Derek Proctor

Reply to
dick