jumper cables connected backwards

Today I connected my jumper cables backwards from my CJ-7 to another vehicle. Something it the CJ arced with a bright flash but I didn't see exactly what. Anyway when I turn the key nothing happens and I can start the engine by turning the key to the on position and putting jum per cables directly onto the starter. Does this mean the solenoid is fried, could the battery be damaged?

Reply to
habbi

All of the above... You were lucky the batteries didn't blow up in your face. Please be careful in the future.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I will second the 'you are lucky'. The sucker could have exploded big time.

You have burned a fuse link wire or two.

They are short wires with a loop connector on one end and a big rubber crimp connector about 8" away and are on the solenoid bolt.

The piece between the loop and the crimp has burned out.

Mike

habbi wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Whose battery needed boosting ... if it was yours, I'm guessing the effect would be the same as connecting your battery backwards ... instant bye bye diodes. But if it was the other guys, then I'm guessing the effect would be something like shorting out your battery ... which should not cause any damage ... unless your vehicle was running in which case I'm thinking the alternator would suffer. But why the starter solenoid ... I dunno ... it should not even be in the circuit, should it?

Reply to
bowgus

The jeep was running and I was boosting a diesel tractor. I hooked it up wrong on the jeep side. After I started the jeep as I said in my original post it kept running for

15-20 minutes until I shut it down. When I tried to restart, it did nothing at all. Wouldn't the alternator have to be working for the jeep to run? The battery wouldn't supply enough pwer for 15 minutes would it?
Reply to
habbi

A battery in decent condition could easily keep an engine running for more than

20 minutes.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to