Just did the Nutter

Hey all,

'85 CJ7/258/BBD

I just passed the emissions test so I thought I'd go ahead and put the computer to sleep. It's great not hearing those stupid air valves sputtering away and messing up the idle. I was amazed the thing fired right up! I took a really quick test drive expecting a bunch of 'seat-o-the-pants' improvement but it seems about as spongy on acceleration as it did before. I think I might have goofed a bit by not tweaking the mix screws lean before unplugging the computer. I just spun them out to 5 turns and hoped for the best. Are the metering pins likely still in the way? I did the 1/4 turn lean routine Mike R talked about in some posts from August and backed them out

1/4 turn when the engine started stumbling. Idle is smooth. Before messing with the mix, I set the timing at 9 deg BTDC at 800 RMP and the vacuum disconnected at the distributor. Correct or no? I'm getting some ping on acceleration but cruising is OK. Didn't take it out on the Highway yet to see if I can go faster than the 65-70mph I'd see with the computer in the loop. I'm going to futz with it more tomorrow but I'm losing light right now so...
Reply to
KurtS

err. 800 RPM. sheesh

Reply to
KurtS

Your timing can be anywhere between 6 to 12 depending on your engine. I use my ear to tweak the timing once the carb is set up. I set the timing at say 9 deg, then get the carb running smooth then turn the distributor slightly either direction to get the smoothest purr. Mine set at 9, but others I have done varied from 8 to 10 or 11.

A vacuum gauge is helpful too. The best timing will usually be really close to the highest vacuum reading..

I find I get the best acceleration using a ported vacuum advance. I also get the best power using high octane. If I am running her loaded full and hard, I look for 91 or 92. If I am running easy I have used mid range 89 and it didn't ping.

For me gas mileage tells all. On a long highway run, I get 19 US mpg or

350 miles per tank on 91 octane. Drop to 87 octane and drop to 250 miles per tank.

Mike

KurtS wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain