Tune Up specs sought for 22r -- ignition timing and idle speed

My 1981 2wd pickup is sending me hints that I need to finish the tune-up that I started before Christmas: rough idling, sputtering, stumbling during acceleration, etc...

I want to make sure the ignition timing and idle speed are set to factory spec, but the Haynes manual says to check the decal under the hood -- and the decal says to leave that stuff to the dealer.

I have searched the internet, but the only thing I can find is a webpage for Toyota Celica afficionados that suggests that a 1981 22r should have an idle speed of 700 rpm and the ignition timing at 8 BTDC. Nothing about the fast idle setting.

The Haynes manual has met my needs nicely up until this point and I'd rather not spring for a factory service manual just to get the specs for ignition timing and fast and slow idle speeds.

Am I being an unreasonable cheapskate here? Is there some reason this info is so hard to come by?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Eric Eckl

1981 Pickup, 2wd, 22r, 120,000 miles.
Reply to
Strollingbones

a factory manual for a truck that old probably won't cost much ... and SO much better than a Haynes, etc. I'd try eBay.

Reply to
JeB

If your truck has the original timing chain, then you might have to use your best judgement to decide where the timing should be. 8 BTDC is a good start... that seems to be about right as far as I remember (I don't have the manual with me) ... as far as base idle .. 700 is fine as long as there's no vibration , I would imagine. Usually, I have mine set a bit higher than that. It's a matter of preference really with your truck. Personally, if the carb is working reasonably well, I wouldn't touch it at all, not even to adjust the idle.

Forget about the fast idle speed. As long as it doesn't sound too fast to you and starts every time, then I would leave it alone.

I would definitely look into changing the timing chain though, if you are on the original.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Eric, I have a Repair Manual for 21R and 22R TOyota Engines, dated Aug. 1980. The following data may be what you are looking for: THe 8 bdtc max

950 rpm (ignition timing) for 22r is correct; Idle speed 700 rpm; Fast idle speed (22r) 2400 rpm. dash pot = 3 sec. approx. Hope this helps. Cathy

Reply to
C. Outlaw