Liberty 2007 questions

Two questions:

Any facts or opinions on how the Liberty stacks up in terms of general maintenance and reliabiltiy?

IAnd, 'm thinking about taking mine up a very rough steep mountain road this summer. Are these things really tough off-road vehicles?

Thanks

Reply to
RichC

RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

Funny, people who know what they're talking about feel differently, I wonder why that is?

Reply to
XS11E

You can pretty much be assured if they were 'bad' or unreliable, folks would be screaming about it already. They have been out long enough.

You know the saying, one pissed off person tells the world, a happy person tells a couple friends.

No one has been complaining which is a good thing.

As far as something as easy as a steep mountain road, well, we have had our bone stock Cherokee with it's running boards way back into the Canadian Bush so deep that when a group of ATV's showed up totally covered in mud 'so proud' they 'made' the trail, there was no way they could believe the sight of my wife and I at the end of the trail calmly having a picnic with our Cherokee. They even went looking for 'the new way in'. LOL!

Enjoy and post back. Take photos and post a link to them or post them over in alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Two questions:
Reply to
Mike Romain

Since you already own a Liberty, you already know about any maintenance or reliabiilty issues it may have. Assuming you have the 4WD model, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well it will get up that steep, rough mountain road without even breaking a sweat. Just take it easy until you are familiar with the machine and terrain.

Reply to
Outatime

You will be fine. Just take it easy and learn how your rig operates. Make sure you have recovery equipment with you (ie. tow hooks fitted, tow strap,proper jack that will work "off road" {High Lift}) Other than that... Enjoy! BTW, I own a 2004 Liberty Sport 3.7 litre. It's been very reliable and trustworthy and my wife and I have a blast in it.

Ry'

Reply to
Socks

Cmon, I've had it (a 2007) just a few months, it takes a lot longer to assess the reliability of a vehicle.

Before buying it, I looked at Consumer Reports maintenace comparisons and it had the Liberty's through 2005 rated above average. But a lot of them used as "grocery getters" and I'm wondering how these stand up to off-road usage.

Yeh, it's 4wd.

I think you

Reply to
RichC

Rich, I had an 05 Liberty Ltd. I used to go stomping in mudholes with it and did some wandering out on some pretty rough roads in the Smoky mountains and took some logging roads in Arkansas while geocaching. As far as I'm concerned, you should have nothing to worry about if it's just a rough road you're going on. As with ANY vehicle get to know it before you really get carried away. There are a lot of Libby owners that go hog assed wild with them. You might check with these guys:

They will know a bunch more about your car than many of the folks in here. Though there are a few fellas that lurk in here that are Liberty owners for the most part you'll get a load of flack from this group.

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon With some extra stuff on it.

Cmon, I've had it (a 2007) just a few months, it takes a lot longer to assess the reliability of a vehicle.

Before buying it, I looked at Consumer Reports maintenace comparisons and it had the Liberty's through 2005 rated above average. But a lot of them used as "grocery getters" and I'm wondering how these stand up to off-road usage.

Yeh, it's 4wd.

I think you

Reply to
Kate

Compared to other 4WD grocery-getters, yours is above-average in terms of durability and reliability. It will remain very dependable if you are diligent about maintenance.

Well, here's the naked-truth.

I think the Jeep Liberty is a good choice for people planning on using their small or midsize SUV for towing or occasional recreational use. However, for true off-road ability, the Hummer H3, Nissan Xterra, Toyota FJ Cruiser and Jeep's own Wrangler are vastly superior. (Para. Edmunds 2008 review,

I think Kate would agree that while the Liberty is a capable off-road machine, there are other 4X4's that are more suitable, while other cute-utes should never leave pavement. Mechanically, the Liberty falls somewhere in the middle, in my opinion.

To get up the occasional steep, unpaved rough mountain road, mud-bogging or snow-runs, the Liberty is well-suited. If you're looking for the ultimate rock-crawler that's able to take nearly any kind of brutal punishment that Nature can possibly dish up, choose something else. I drive an '05 TJL, and while I consider it bulletproof and very capable offroad, I would never venture into serious rock-crawling Rubicon territory destined only for seasoned professionals and heavy-duty machines designed specifically for that task.

Will your Liberty break if you make that mountain road run every day? I seriously doubt it. I haven't yet seen a steep, rough mountain road that any Hyundai or even an AWD Minivan couldn't tackle.

Reply to
Outatime

"Outatime" wrote

*snip* I think Kate would agree that while the Liberty is a capable off-road machine, there are other 4X4's that are more suitable, while other cute-utes should never leave pavement. Mechanically, the Liberty falls somewhere in the middle, in my opinion.

*Yep, I agree completely.

To get up the occasional steep, unpaved rough mountain road, mud-bogging or snow-runs, the Liberty is well-suited. If you're looking for the ultimate rock-crawler that's able to take nearly any kind of brutal punishment that Nature can possibly dish up, choose something else. I drive an '05 TJL, and while I consider it bulletproof and very capable offroad, I would never venture into serious rock-crawling Rubicon territory destined only for seasoned professionals and heavy-duty machines designed specifically for that task.

*Again, you've said it all in my book. Much more eloquently than I could. Which is why I only kept my Libby for 6 months, and after modding it as far as I could go without ripping it apart, I traded it in on a Wrangler Rubicon... that I have modded as well.

Will your Liberty break if you make that mountain road run every day? I seriously doubt it. I haven't yet seen a steep, rough mountain road that any Hyundai or even an AWD Minivan couldn't tackle.

*If a cute-ute that's a good weekend plaything is what you want, you've got it. I on the other hand want to go do some playing in mine that concerned me with the Liberty.

Even with my 4" lift, my TJ rides better than the Libby did... and I can go topless anywhere I feel comfortable going. (The JEEP topless, not me!)

Kate

Reply to
Kate