Liberty - XTerra - 4Runner

Looking for opinions. Considering the Jeep Liberty Nissan XTerra Toyota 4Runner

Proposed uses: Goin to work vehicle, city streets. Local freeways, and periodic freeway trips to hiking/camping areas.

Weekly: Desert dirt roads, hardpack, washboard roads, soft sand, washouts. (depending on time of year) Mountain roads, rock, gravel, rocks, washouts, altitudes to 10.000 feet, Rock crawling is not anticipated.

Must have sufficient room in the back to haul a family members wheelchair (standard issue, folding) from time to time without folding seats down.

Starting the initial shopping soon. Would appreciate comments. Thanks

Reply to
QX

Any would work, consider adding the Grand Cherokee to the list as it is perhaps more user friendly.

As this is a Jeep forum we are prejudiced toward Jeep products but the Nissan and Toyota are good vehicles.

The older XTerras were quite a bit underpowered generally speaking, they work fine for commuting but give out when pressed.

If you go with a Liberty or Grand Cherokee I would prefer the SelecTrac transfer case but that is my personal opinion. The base 6 cylinder engine is sufficient for most uses except heavy towing. The factory tow package get you a different axle and a little bit higher gearing which would be to your advantage.

I do not think there are too many Liberty owners/users here... Kate used to have one, perhaps she will chime in..

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
ufatbastehd

I would reccomend the xTerra because it has the rear locker and it's priced between the libby and the 4runner.

However, I suggest you drive one of each and buy the one you like the best. All three are good choices.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I have two Liberties - an 03 gas model and an 06 diesel. Both are great for primarily on-road with occasional off-road use. Both are surprisingly muscular for a small suv, and with the right tires, do great in the mud and on ice. In the Delta, we don't have a whole lot of deep snow or rock crawling, so I can't speak to those uses.

Very comfortable with 4 adults, and good cargo space behind the back seat. Mileage on the gas model runs around 17/18 mpg and on the diesel model runs around 23/24 mpg. Short wheelbase turns on a dime, and makes it easy to get in and out of traffic and parking, but the vehicle still rides well and handles a light trailer with ease.

FWIW, my previous vehicles (and base for comparison) inclde a Ford Explorer, Expedition, Suburban, Blazer, and Bronco II.

BB

Reply to
Barry Bean