Low oil pressure in Wagoneer- easy fix or no?

Hi all,

am considering the purchase of a '79 Wagoneer, 360/2bbl/Turbo 400. Haven't looked at it yet but the owner says that one of the "issues" with it is low indicated oil pressure when hot. sounds like he hasn't put a calibrated gauge on it yet but he said that a common problem had something to do with a timing cover and that there was a kit available for cheap to fix, or it might be as simple as a bad gauge sender. Should I even bother going to look at this vehicle, or is this a deal killer? Owner says there is NO lifter clatter at any time.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

If it is priced like it has no engine in it, then it might be a deal.

On an engine that old, I would suspect the low oil pressure is due to worn out parts like crank and cam bearings.

Putting a new oil pump in it (under the timing cover) might bring it up a little, but that is just treating the symptoms.

If I was going to go check that, I would bring a compression tester and a mechanical plug in oil gauge to see what is really going on.

My CJ7 originally came with a bad engine because of blowby and bad idle even with a new carb. I checked the compression there in the driveway and it was like new so I pinched the charcoal canister line and the idle behaved long enough for me to think it was a runner with a little tinkering... It was.

Mike

Mike Romain

So let's say that it needs an oil pump and timing cover. Is that a fun, easy weekend project or a royal PITA?

nate

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

That depends on point of view.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It may be easy, if you can get away with just replacing the dented part:

and if youcan get the relief piston out:
And of course replace themotor mounts. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

This would be visible from the outside wouldn't it?

That would mean he could easily determine if the low oil pressure is from damage or just wear...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > It may be easy, if you can get away with just replacing the dented part:
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

If you are ready to buy the Jeep, invest just a little money first. Purchase a new Oil Filter and enough Oil to do a change. Surely the owner would not object to that? Even if you decide against the Jeep, he gets the oil changed. Get at least 10-40, but a friend with a 79 Jeep truck swears his works best with 15w40 Chevron Delo.

Install your temporary mechanical gauge, run the truck until it gets warm and check the pressure. Change the oil and filter, run it until it gets warm and compare the oil pressure.

If the poor guy has been getting it "serviced" at an oil change place, they most likely dumped in the generic 10w30 or even 5w30 like it was a late model.

Good Luck, Bruceie

Reply to
Highcountry