Lug nuts and proper torque?

After getting new tires from NTB a month ago, I just found out today that I'm missing a lug nut on a rear wheel. I found this out when I went to retorque them. I've been driving a month on it without realizing it! I'm getting a lug nut tomorrow, but after driving on it like this for a month, could this have bent my rim or damaged something? I'm pissed that this happened from the "professionals" at NTB. It was Sunday and they were getting ready to close, but......

Reply to
stephjeff

stephjeff did pass the time by typing:

Not good, but it should be ok. I'd definitely have a few choice words for them.

One thing to take away from this is that after anyone does work on your car, check it before driving away. I also suggest anyone that has wheel work also retorque the bolts when they get home. Most places just slap them on with an impact wrench rather than take the time to do it correctly.

The torque depends on your wheel and lug style. 85-95 for most cone style nuts.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Jeepster

I do mine at 110ft/lbs.

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

ditto

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Don't know your jeep but my understanding is the originals on my '96 Cherokee were composite (made in 2 parts) so an upgrade might be in order to prevent the possibility breakage on torquing and the uttering of many 4 letter words. And thinking about it, I might just consider them a preventive maintenance item and maybe replace them every 10 years whether they need it or not :-)

Reply to
bowgus

Thanks everyone for the input. I have had them torqued at 100 lbs. I really think it's too much of a coinidence to have it be a thief. I mean, after six years in my nice neighborhood and work, never had a problem. Like I said, it was closing time at NTB and they were all in a hurry. Seems to add up. It ultimately is my fault though for not checking. It just reinforces how leary I am of shops and trust.

thanks again, Jeff

Reply to
stephjeff

Reply to