Michigan Jeepers Loose member to strapping accident..

Quite the artist, ain't ya! ;p

And ya ...I wouldn't trust the toggle method ...that's putting a lot of strain on that dowel. I think I'm just going to order the 4"x40' or 6"x50' Nylon straps to try and avoid the problem altogether ...

Reply to
griffin

That cannot be physically done!

The strap loops are not near big enough to fit them like the drawing with the wood in the middle on a 3" strap.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Here's another link

writer of this article is the Canadian equal to Mark Smith.... JohnCranfield works for Jeep Jamboree Canada.Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You know, after looking at that diagram on that page, this is making me think...this might have been the way Mark Smith showed us. I was assuming it was the "toggle" way becuase it was so easy to pull apart the straps.

Seems that this way would be much better than the toggle, since the dowel is not seeing near as much of the pulling force.

I'm going to go make that crow now... ;-)

6753&p=1

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Good luck with that crow Matt....LMAO Jeff

Jeff

Actually, it can be done, but I'd never use this or any other method that relies on a stick to maintain the connection.

Steve

Mike Roma> That cannot be physically done!

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If you're replying to my post ...there's a line that makes:

4x20, 4x40, 6x20, 6x30, 6x50

Between 30-60,000lb

griffin

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Add to that opinion the fact that that dmaned hunk of wood is going to move all over the place before you get enough tension on yjr strap to hold it in place. Unless you have some brave soul hold it in place while the slack is taken out the toggle is gonna do it's thing - and I have other uses for my fingers besides sacrificing them to save a minute or so.

Opinion: the stick won't go far when it breaks. It will break in the middle behind the loop of one strap so it won't fly past the one pulling it thru. In the other direction, all the force will be on what are now the ends of two sticks, so nearly all the force will be rotational. Add to that the opposite ends of the original stick are positioned to meet each other as it breaks so there goes a little more energy - but it still doesn't appeal to me: why rig something that you're just gonna have to redo when (not it) it breaks??? Do it right

- the first time.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
Will Honea

What is with these fools?

Another jerk that wants flying debris!

If these folks are the best that the Jamboree has to offer, then Jeeping is in big trouble!

I think someone has shown them the 'right' way to do it but they weren't paying attention so now they are making 'Bad' guesses!

There is one place where you just can't 'fake' it and that is when it comes to safety.

This is the only safe way to do it and be sure you aren't going to have flying debris:

Yes it does come up tight and is a pain to pull apart even with the dowel in there but it will not fail sending wooden missiles 100's of feet in all directions.

Mike

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

From: John Cranfield 2:07 PM Subject: Re: Bad advice! To: "L.W.(ßill) Hughes III"

Hi Bill, I have tried us>

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill, can you post your email to John that he replied to?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

From: John Cranfield 4:00 PM Subject: Re: Bad advice! To: "L.W.(ßill) Hughes III"

What happens when the dowel breaks (which is unlikely if a correct 1 There is no stress Explain your reasoning. Naturally there is a risk involved anytime a tow strap is used and the risk climbs when two are joined. I have done quite a bit of testing with dowel attaching method and the way I recommend was the safest I could find. John

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I don't think he has ever had one fail or he would be talking the same type of 100 foot shots Matt saw in his test.

I do not believe John has looked at the proper loop inside a loop way to do it.

There can be 'nothing' safer than two locked together loops. You have to have strap failure to break it, not stick rot....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain