Michigan Jeepers Loose member to strapping accident..

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

Of course that proportion is not found in real straps. I simply exaggerated the proportions to quickly illustrate a foolish and hazardous technique. It can be done though. First loop the red strap on itself around the stick and pull tight. Then draw the end of the red strap through an eye of the blue strap and pull the blue eye to the stick. Finally, pass the tail of the blue strap over the stick and through the blue eye. As long as the blue eye is big enough to accommodate two passes of strap, no problem. I suppose I could draw a better picture, but I'm afraid it might end up in someone's glovebox.

Again for anyone else reading, this is not a safe way to link two straps.

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Steve

I could see someone trying that and I sure didn't think my 3" straps would handle it, but I looked and they would like you describe.

I really am having a hard time grasping the fact that folks would use a chunk of wood of unknown strength to anchor something so potentially deadly as a snatch strap in full snatch.

I can only think that someone showed them the correct way and they were not paying good enough attention.....

Here is the correct or only 'safe' way to 'lock' two straps in case folks are lost:

Mike

Steve wrote:

Mike Romain

The most commonly heard phrase in a hospital emergency room out of folks staring up at the ceiling is "That was such a stupid, stupid thing for me to do..."

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Actually, Bill, it's "Hey y'all, watch this.."

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
mic canic

What would it be for?

Using too old or a rotted strap???

My understanding is a strap broke sending the clevis as a missile.

Mike

mic canic wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
mic canic

Sue everybody that is probably the plan. Sad though. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'm speechless.. The same thing happened to me a few years back. Some of you (Jerry) might remember when I was working at the Monster Truck shows here in CA. Well, pulling a stuck full sized Ford out of a mud bog I had dug in Yucca Valley brought all of that to an end. When the tow hook came through the cab of the backhoe I was operating, missing my head by inches and landed 150' behind me, I decided to retire. Yeah, it scared the crap out of me. That was my last show. Those of you who really know me have seen what I'm made of, and those of you who have been Jeeping with me know that I'm no wuss.....I don't scare easily. The sound of that hook flying past my ear I will never forget. Life can be short people. And doing something you enjoy can and will kill you. Please, Jeep safely.

I Jeep, therefore I am.....

just some truck stuff below...

RollOver Pete... Check me out at:

RollOver Pete

Pete is no wuss. Jees man, scary huh. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

OK, now I'm officially only going Jeeping with guys who own WINCHES...

:)

Matt

Reply to
Matt