Minimum speed for cruise control

Hello All,

I live in Holland and have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited. Half of Holland has a speed limit of 50 km/h (about 30 mph). My cruise control only starts working at 35mph, whisch means i cannot use the CC as often as i want. Does anyone know how to change the minimum speed a which the CC works into 25 mph?

Thanks, Jos

Reply to
jos.jessica

No going to happen. It needs to be at a speed fast enough to get engine and tranny RPM into a range it can work with. YOu could fool it to work by installing lower axle ratio which would increase RPM at same road speed but this is a expensive fix.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Why do you have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited in Holland? Manufacturers have determined that cruise control is unsafe under 35 mph. Your casualty and liability insurance company would have a fit if you made this modification, got into an accident, and put in a damages claim. They might even refuse to cover you, think about that.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Have you asked a Jeep dealer if that can be set with the programmer? In the U.S. 35mph is considered the lowest point at which cruise control can be safely used.

Reply to
DougW

What difference does it make why he has it?

I suspect that the reason it's considered unsafe to use cruise at those speeds is because here pretty much anywhere you are going that slow either it's a congested area or the driving conditions are so bad you shouldn't be using it.

The situation may be quite different in the Netherlands.

Jeff DeWitt

Earle Hort> Why do you have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited in Holland?

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Last time I was in Holland, all they used were bicycles, billions of bicycles:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

In my experience, most cruise controls will engage at 35+ mph. You can then decellerate as low as you wish by pressing the decel or coast button several times until it cruises more slowly.

I'd like to remove the limits on my Wrangler as well, leaving only an RPM limit. This would make it easier to concentrate on the terrain when moving slowly, rather than concentrating on RPM or speed.

Reply to
JD Adams

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

Do YOU really need cruise control at twenty miles an hours????????? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Not so, I've had multiple cars that would set the cruise control at

25mph and who's owners manuals say it will work at 25mph. That includes Ford, GM, Chrysler and imported vehicles, my '93 Jeep GC is the ONLY car I've ever driven that required 35+ mph to use the cruise control with the exception of a 2002 Jeep GC and a 2007 Jeep GC.

I don't know if it's a Jeep thing but it's sure true of GCs.

Reply to
XS11E

I don't know where they're getting it, either. I've NEVER driven a car that required more than 25 mph to set the cruise except Jeep Grand Cherokees.

Reply to
XS11E

Hello All,

It is clear to me that the Jeep is one of the few with the 35mph minimum. I myself have also driven other cars which can be set at lower speeds than 35. So i'm not worried about my insurance. I don't like to change the axle ratio(suggested by snoman) as this will be bad for fuel economy. Other option already suggested by the local garage is changing in the computer the size of the tires. Dis-advantage of this is that the speedometer will be incorrect.

So i'm still hoping for a smart technician who can explain which board to change, or even that i have to solder a different type of resitor on a board.

Regards, Jos

Reply to
jos.jessica

My '05 TJL requires min. 35 to engage. Most other vehicles I've owned had a threshold of 25 mph. All would let you cut the speed back below the threshold once CC is enabled.

Reply to
JD Adams

Our TJ that we just traded had to be at 35 or 40 for the cruise to work. We had a Dodge Caravan a while back that was the same way and stated such in the Owners Man.. No cruise in the JK but we also have a Mazda MPV van that the cruise will work at 25. I use it a lot in the city where we have a boulevard with a 30 MPH limit but the lights are synched so you can travel the length of it without having to drop the cruise out. I always cursed the TJ while driving there (the Caravan too) because I couldn't use the cruise control at that speed. Must be a Chrysler thing. Les '07 JK 2 Door X

Reply to
Les

In the Commonwealth of Virginia, the speed limit in residential areas is 25 mph, unless other wise posted.

I love to set it at 25 (both my '91 Chevy truck, and the wife's '05 Liberty will do it) and lead a convoy of mostly high-school kids out to the main road in the mornings. Makes things safer in my neighborhood.

Reply to
Retiredff

I believe all residential areas are 25 MPH, but that doesn't mean I kick back and cruise, as the area implies children chasing balls or just wondering into the street from behind parked cars. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I believe all residential areas are 25 MPH, but that doesn't mean I kick back and cruise, as the area implies children chasing balls, or just wondering into the street from behind parked cars. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Interesting thread. I would never have thought and will never use cc on local roads/streets.

Reply to
ufatbastehd

FWIW, my LandRover and my Rover SD1 didn't/don't kick in until 40 mph

XS11E wrote:

Reply to
Dave Milne