Minimum speed for cruise control

I do something similar on a very long stretch of 30 mph. residential road. Smokey constantly sits on a 2-wheeler between cars, pointing his radar gun at everyone. I usually set it, then back off to 25 and relax. And wave at the nice Police Officer when I pass. This has saved me from dozens of cites.

For anything 20 mph or less, I just select gear 4 or 5 and let it idle along.

In the Kenworth, I have it set so that it can be engaged at any speed or gear. This is VERY useful when pulling a long (5-10 mile) 12-14% grade with a load on. I set it to 1800 rpm, with the pyrometer is running 900-950 degrees. This lets me keep a close eye on engine coolant temp, transmission temp, rear differential temp and seat covers in the lane next to me. And I can make tiny adjustments if anything heats up or the grade changes. This also helps out the driver behind me: my rig maintains a constant speed, allowing others to more easily manage their speed and distance from my rear bumper.

In a Jeep, I would think that it would be a great substitute for a remote throttle control, the type clamped to the gear shifter. Select gear 3 or 4 low, rev to 1200 rpm, hit the cruise and let the computer easily get you up the hill without spinning, while you concentrate on your tack.

Reply to
JD Adams

You could almost use direct drive without burning the valves out of it. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I haven't been to Holland, which is where the OP is from, but driving in Europe is like driving in a parking lot, except for the Autobahn, heh. A scary parking lot, with drivers going at suicidal speeds through narrow little alleys and pedestrians playing chicken with them. The only people really going 25 mph, are the tractor trailers just in front of you. They park cars everywhere, half on the sidewalk, on the sidewalk, on entrance ramps to freeways, everywhere. They have traffic laws, but you could have fooled me. The toll road from el País Vasco to Madrid is 12 Euros, and worth every penny.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I can't even use cruise control going out to Los Wages, traffic speed is

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I can't even use cruise control going out to Los Wages, traffic speed is

85 MPH, and I'm not about to tell a cop I'm speeding, too by touching my tail lights! I just pull it out of overdrive and hope, I've slowed for the Chip's clocking. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Cool, You probably saved you life choosing a job closer to home. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com