MORE 94 WRANGLER TITE QUESTIONS

'Four-Wheeler's Bible' states that a 31x10.50 tire can be used on a Wrangler YJ without any vehicle lift needed. My question then is what wheels would be needed for this size tire. The local Jeep dealer tells me they could be mounted on stock wheels but it would not be the right way to go. A wider wheel being a better choice. Assuming that to be true how wide a wheel? Does it need some offset? Help!

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

31x10.50s worked find on my stock XJ's rims... Of course, the XJ needed 3+ inches of lift to fit 'em, but that's pretty much to be expected..

Just curious, but can the TJ fit 31x10.50s without a lift kit?

Reply to
Grumman-581

You could fit the 31's on the YJ, but they will rub a bit. You could get TJ flares or just trim your flares a bit and they should fit fine. I think 31's will fit a stock TJ w/o lifting. If they didn't fit, a 1" spring spacer is easy and cheap to install.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Book list 31x10.5 as max without lift for YJ and TJ

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

Book is wrong or the YJ has no gas in the tank, no back seat, no gear, no doors or top and a 'really' small person driving it..... Book should read CJ's and TJ's fit 31's stock, the YJ has flat springs for that softer ride.

They, 31's will hit when you stuff them and they will hit when you make a turn. The turn hitting can be fixed by adjusting the steering stops to give you a larger turning radius. Think 5 point turns instead of 3 point turns... No fix for the stuff scuff except body work or a lift. On the rear, 31's just plain hit.

You have too many threads going on so I will answer all here. The rim size is stamped on the back of the rim face, check the spare. It will either be 7" or 8" if stock.

A 7" rim can take a 10.5" tire with no issues and just a little sidewall bulge, the 9.5's fits perfect, the 8" rim can take up to a 12.5" tire. The bulge on the sidewall helps from knocking the tire off the rim or packing the rim with dirt.

Mike

Mike Romain

I am new to the world of Jeeps and off roading, as is probably clear. The book could easily be wrong and that's why I ask about it here. The 'hands-on' experience of people is usually the best answer to get for problems. People like Mike are what makes this group worth posting to and reading. Thanks for the info Mike!

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

A freind of mine just bought an 88 YJ, no lift and original springs, it has my daughter's old, near new 31" x 10.5"( old because she got new 33" BFG MTs ) no rubbing, so yes 31s will fit fine.

Reply to
Greg

I have seen 2 here and both were ok on the paved road, but if they went off road they hit.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

My '94 has 31 X 10.50's mounted on 15 X 10 Outlaw II rims and they fit fine, no rubbing, on or off road. Stock suspension.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

The factory wheels can be used. Your dealership is interested in selling rims that you do not need.

CAVEAT In the unlikely event that you have the very narrow and small tires used on the Base Model YJ, you could (that's c-o-u-l-d) have trouble with a 10.5 wide tire, in this case you can buy new rims that are 8 inches wide for $27 each in white or black, or $30 in chrome, and be good to go.

The local Jeep dealer tells me they could be

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Exactly where would I get these 8" for $27/30?

Reply to
INDIVIDUAL

I obviously have seen YJ's with much more worn out springs than folks are talking about here.... Maybe a rust belt thing. My stock rear springs went flat, then shattered into little pieces and all the YJ ones I have seen or helped replace were dead flat if not inverted. Had a Chevy pickup and it's rear springs shattered too.

Mike

Mike Romain

I've been lucky with this one. A little old lady drove it to the store once a week for groceries before I got it. (my wife lol). So it was babied. Stayed in the garage. It'd be in good shape for a 2004, but it's a 1994. I have seen YJ's with springs that bent the OTHER way too, from obvious fatigue like you're talking Mike.

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

In article , INDIVIDUAL wrote: # #Exactly where would I get these 8" for $27/30? # #

Ebay. Typing in rims in the search bar turned up a set of 4 that was going for $106.07 with 30 min left.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

America's Tire (aka Discount Tire) Store -- not Company (but they might have them also) -- has them.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland