NEED HELP!; 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0, stalling, hiccupping, kangarooing

Can anybody help me?

I've changed the fuel pump, charcol canister, leak detection pump and purge valve trying to solve the problem listed in the subject line. I've been able to force the vehicle to have the problem by un-plugging the vacuum hose that goes directly from the intake manifold to the charcol canister. After replacing everything, I thought it was fixed and let my wife take it to Houston. Now it is sitting at a dealership in Houston and I'm in Colorado. Does anybody think they might know what the problem is?

Thanks

Reply to
Mark

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And it will be a crank position sensor.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

Or ignition coil, shorted or broken sensor wire, loose battery connection, cracked spark plug, carbon trace or cracked cap/rotor/cop etc.

cop == coil on plug

Lots of things will cause bucking. Since it's a 2001 let the dealer plug it into a scantool and see what the computer says.

Reply to
DougW

Leak detection pump? Why???

There is not supposed to be a vacuum hose going directly from the intake to the canister.

Do yourself (and your wife) a favor and let the dealer fix it while it's there, before you go broke throwing parts at it, and before your wife gets stranded somewhere.

Reply to
bllsht

cracked cap?

Reply to
IsellJeeps

They don't use o-scopes anymore Bill!

:-)

Reply to
JimG

here you go !

Dave Milne

No dist cap in the 01. They went to coil-on-plug with the 2000 model year.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

very natty 'burns :-)

Dave Milne

Matt Macchiarolo did pass the time by typing:

Yep, that's why I added cop. While unlikely, it is possible for that rail to get damaged. Especially if you arn't carefull taking it off or neglect the harness at the back. Just making the answer generic.

See above. :)

Reply to
DougW

I'm jealous of your hair Bill!!

Reply to
SteveBrady

Hi Bill,

No I do not live in California. I'm no expert on smog test equipment, but I do know that the report you show is not done with an o-scope. Those reading are done with activated chemical sensors connected to the exhaust. The hook to the DMV (modem or internet) is to transmit the report data.

Obviously ignition and fuel injection diagnosis can be done with the o-scope (assuming the typical grease monkey can operate and interpret the equipment). Save that for the NASCAR mechanics.

:-)

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I barely got the whole mullet faze....starting losing my hair before I actually got close to the long dreds!

Reply to
SteveBrady