Never Ever a "Delco" (was Head Gaskets)

My "head gasket problem' is now solved. My 86XJ Cherokee (340K mi) has a 2.8L . I chose the 2.8L because of good fuel economy on long highway travel. I was in a 'rush' to rebuild 'last time' so I bought a re-manufactured "Delco" crate engine - to 'save time'. WHAT a POS!!!!! I repowered the time before that with a "Goodwrench" crate engine and had absolutely NO probs, until it simply 'wore out'.

Let me tell you what I got for a 'factory rebuild' "DELCO" 2.8L . Not only were the head studs not sealed from the cooling loop/water jacket, but the valve seats were milled almost a 1/4" too deep - the top faces of the valves were flush with head, the valve guides were OVERSIZED (not worn). So this freaking 'Delco' was pumping water, hammering the valves into oblivion, .... couldnt keep a constant intake manifold vacuum to run a simple vari-jet carburator, etc. etc. etc. etc. No wonder GM stock is so bad. I think I remember seeing a new GM *car* on the street last year .... no wonder if they are this bad.

Thanks again for your (correct) opinions on the head gasket problems - which ultimately lead to a detailed analysis of what turned out to be a 'disaster' - remanufactured *abortion*. I should have originally simply taken the old block to the local machinst for a 'proper rebuild' ..... and would have saved time AND money in the long run. You can take NAFTA and CAFTA. and make human popsicles out them ---- gimme the local guy down on Main Street USA to do good engine rebuild work.

Thanks again to all those who replied my the 'head gasket' questions. I really appreciated it.

RichH

Reply to
Rich Hampel

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III