1996 Cherokee Sport door panel removal

The automatic door lock on the rear driver side door does not operate smoothly (takes a few tries with the door lock switch) and I'd like to
remove the door panel to see if I can clean up the mechanism and spray it with some lube. So far I've done:
1. Removed the armrest 2. Removed the screw behind the door handle and two near the door lock switch. 3. Popped the plastic clips loose and moved the door panel up off the channel so that it's free. 4. Disconnected door lock switch connector.
What I'm not sure about next is if I have to remove the door handle with the trim panel. The plastic trim behind the handle doesn't seem to come out. If the door handle does come with the panel I'm at a loss for how to disconnect the door handle and lock rods since I can only move the panel about an 1" from the door.
Any advice would be appreciated. John
I've asked the same question. I would like to know that too since I had a hell of a time replacing speakers with only an inch to work with.
Jeff

Disconnect the two connecting rods one from the door handle and one from the manual lock handle. They are held by a clip that pivots out of the way with a little force from a flat blade screwdriver.
Steve
John W. wrote:

Thanks Stephan. The problem I was having was that I was trying to remove the door trim panel with the door latch/lock plate as one unit. This time I left the trim panel in place and just removed the three screws holding the door latch/lock panel on and pulled it out enough to remove the rods. Once it was out of the way the door panel came right off. Just did the reverse to install.
The FSM tells you to pull the door trim panel outward before disconnecting the rods, attempting it that way was much more difficult.
John
Stephen R. Conrad wrote:

I had the same problem and solve it by spraying the latch only with PB oil. didn't remove anything. Been over six months!
John wrote: The automatic door lock on the rear driver side door does not operate smoothly (takes a few tries with the door lock switch) and I'd like to remove the door panel to see if I can clean up the mechanism and spray it with some lube. So far I've done: