New Jeep -- AMC I6 Carb/Vac/header/lift question

So, I bought a 84 CJ7 jeep as a fixer uper and I have a question.....

I've read a lot about a carburetor mod -- switching the Carter BBD out for a Webber or Edelbrock or something. My I6 is hooked to an automatic transmission and has the 'computer' controlling it. My question is, if I buy a Webber or Edelbrock kit, do I still need the computer 'hooked up' (do I still need the mixture solenoid)? Can I eliminate some of the vacuume hoses that litter the engine? There are no strict emission standards where I live. Do I need to get a new intake manifold for the switch?

I guess the reason for my desire to add a new carburetor includes the following:

1) I've had to set the engine idle speed high. (I've cleaned out the venturi ports. That worked really well, but it still needs to idle higher than I'd like) From what I've read with a better carb the engine runs better even at lower idle speed. 2) There are a lot of vacuume hoses running all over that engine. With the addition of a computerless carburetor I think I could eliminate some of them. (I could be totally misguided on this one) 3) I just want a new (technalogically better) carburetor with a better looking air cleaner arrangement. From what I've read, with the better carb, the engine will have more horsepower and run better at lower rpm and I can eliminate some of the vac hoses and the computer controled solenoid (I could be totally wrong on this one too)

Lastly, I'd like to put a dual header on this engine (side exit exhaust). Will that affect the carb selection or carb modification?

Anyone have any suggestions? Would it be best (performance wise) that I install a carburetor kit, or just improve the current Carter carb.

I appreciate any response.

Also, I'd like to purchase a one inch body lift and 4 inch leaf spring lift. Any suggestions on brand/type? I'll be 90% on the pavement and

10% offroad.

Thanks.

Reply to
smitty

Just as personal preference, I wouldn't put a body lift on. I have one and it's okay. But, I think the Jeep would handle a little better without it. There's also reports from a couple of folks that say they've seen stress cracks in the body over time. It does, however, make the Jeep look bigger. Since the lift and oversize tires are bigger, the body lift keeps all the geometry like original. I had a friend that insisted the my CJ was much bigger than others because of the visual effect it created. I have running board-like nerf bars I had custom made and the body lift enables me to get my toes under the body when getting in or out. That's a nice touch. All in all, it's an okay mod but I wouldn't do it again. o_o_o_o Best Regards, /| ,[_____], Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O- ()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_) EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Reply to
Drink