Weber carb and 258 question

I ordered the weber 551 today for the 86 CJ -- it will be here Friday. I am not really much of a mechanic, but I have lots of tools, and I'm pretty handy with mechanical stuff :) First I know I have to take out the studs that hold the old carb on, how much trouble is this? Second, I've never adjusted a carb or timing or anything like that before, so what will have to be adjusted if I just bolt the weber on and hook everything up? btw, the computer is completly bypassed, and nearly all the vacume stuff is gone. Thanks.

Reply to
Danny Bains

Danny Bains did pass the time by typing:

The bolts that hold a carb down are easy to take out. Remember, use a new gasket and don't overtighen the bolts on your new carb. around 36 in.lbs (that's INCH pounds) or 3 ft.lbs. You can put way more than that with just a nutdriver.

Old rule (please double check this) was finger tight plus 1/4 turn.

.. It's been too long since I worked on a carb. You shouldn't have to mess with the timing, just set the base idle and warmup idle/AC solenoid if you have it. Dunno about the mix.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill, I bought it here:

Danny Bains

Danny Bains did pass the time by typing:

Only if they arn't going to be reused. Take them out carefully, there shouldn't be that much resistance. If it seems your having to lean on it then put some penetrating oil on the stud and let it work. The last thing you want to do is snap off a stud in the manifold.

FWIW.. When you do have the carb off, stuff a shop rag into the intake. That will catch any loose bits that might fall in. Like the old or new studs. (yes, I learned the hard way) ^_^

Reply to
DougW

Thanks Doug. So do I just take the vice grips to the old studs?

Reply to
Danny Bains