New Jeep in the Family

Well, we finally replaced my wife's aging Ford wagon. She decided recently that she wanted something 'cool' and 'fun' recently, and since I'm daily driving a lifted TJ who was I to argue? She spotted a white '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited last weekend at a small-town dealer and that was it, decision made.

Now my wife has a car with a bigger motor than mine! :-( Heh heh.

So, what should I worry about with a '98 GC 5.9 with 65000 miles on it, beside gasoline bills? I suppose I should change every fluid an buy a shop manual ... anything else?

/Peter ... liking the sound of the old iron pushrod V8

Reply to
PeterP

That 5.9 is a great ride. I used to have one. Goes like hell but the gas mileage sucks, and mine sure didn't like anything but 93 octane. The only thing you might not be used to is a little driveline "grabbyness" when you go around tight corners at very low speeds. Most of them do it.

Reply to
j carter

Number 1 would be that you'd better be really nice to your wife or she will never let you drive the thing. Maybe if you drop a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks on it for her....

Check all the fluids and lubes, cv joint boots, drips from the water pump, rusted A/C condensor, etc. Pour water at the back of the hood and make sure it flows nicely to the ground.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Heh heh, something to consider, since she hasn't let me yet.

Neither she (nor I) knew it was some sort of hot rod when she test drove it and decided she liked it. During the test drive she was taking it easy, and when she pulled onto the on ramp and got it above an idle, it started to sound real good to me. She, however, thought it was broken - "Oh my gosh, what's wrong, what's that sound?"

CV joints? Where? I thought the thing has a Dana 30 solid axle?

As opposed to what, leaking into the interior?

Thanks for the tips,

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

Front end. They get torn.

Yeah. Plus the A/C drain can get clogged, dealers have a fix.

Take it to a good jeep shop and have them check the general health of the drivetrain, that way you can schedule anything needed or just feel warm and fuzzy.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11