Noisy lifters

Hi,

I have a 95 XJ, 4.0L I6 with 297,000 on the vehicle and supposedly only 40,000 or so on the (rebuilt) engine (I wasn't given any paperwork to back this up).

It has good oil pressure (No less than 20 psi at idle when hot, 40 psi when cold till warmed up and 40 - 80 psi under load ...?) and the oil is fairly new, clean and at the proper level.

There is noticeable lifter noise (Compared to my Toyota pickup's 2.4L I4) regardless of engine temp (This is while stopped, idling, with hood up - too much road noise to hear while driving .).

So, should I have my mechanic look into this, or are these engines just noisy?

TIA

Reply to
noneyabusiness

noneyabusiness did pass the time by typing:

The max (before bypass) is 70psi, time to clean the connector on the oil pressure sender. It's down by the oil filter.

Even when new the I6 is noisy. But sometimes lifter noise is actually a tiny crack in the exhaust header. You will know this because it tends to get quiet as the engine warms up.

Sure you arn't listening to the injectors?

Reply to
DougW

As another reply stated these engines seem to be noisy almost by design. Piston slap is the biggie. If it sounds like a diesel at idle it's piston slap and RESTORE will quiet it down.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Dunno... sounds like lifters to me, but I'm not a trained mechanic ;-) ACTUALLY, I think I should have stated it sounds like it needs a valve adjustment (klackety klack), but maybe it's the same thing.

All I can say is that it sounds kinda like my Toyota did when the oil level was getting low.

A friend with a 98 TJ also said to be aware of potential header problems, so I'll keep an eye on it but the sound seems to remain regardless of engine temp.

Reply to
noneyabusiness

Got a manual trans? When you're idling in neutral, press the clutch pedal to the floor and see if your klackety stops klacking.

Steve

n> >

Reply to
Steve

Try RISLONE, it worked for my 90 XJ........John

Reply to
JRK58

Nope, 4sp auto.

[snip]