Noisy 5.4

The 5.4 engine in my '02 F150 (8K miles) makes what I would describe as a raspy ticking sound. The only time I hear it is when accelerating while the engine is cold. The sound starts around 20-25 mph and disappears around

35-40 mph. The sound is reduced if I back way off on the throttle. There are no unusual noises immediately after a cold start while idling. After a few minutes, when the temperature has come up the sound goes away.

If it were because of a bad hydraulic lifter, wouldn't it be noticeable right after starting? Any ideas what this could be and what can be done? I thought about trying different oil (5W-20 is recommended) possibly Mobil 1

5W-30.
Reply to
John Jacobs

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:02:04 -0700, John Jacobs rearranged some electrons to form:

Have you thought about taking it back to the dealer, since it would still be under warranty?

Reply to
David M

Yes, I've considered returning to the dealer. However, In the past, I haven't been impressed with their service. I would like to try anything I can before going down that path.

I learned from Mobil that using Mobil 1 5W-30 in place of a 5W-20 oil would void the warranty. Mobil recommends Mobil1 0W-20 in lieu of the 5W-20 to preserve the warranty.

Reply to
John Jacobs

Don't forget about the anti-drain oil filter.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike