buick 3.8 V6 ...bad lifters ?

hello all,

99 Camaro, with the subject motor, 84K miles, religiously maintained

this just started happening to me -- when started up, very loud tapping noise, ala stuck lifter or valve

after 15 minutes of running, the noise gradually diminishes, then is gone

all throughout, factory oil pressure gauge reads its usual psi, car runs like it always has

carbon rap ? piston slap ? recommendations please...

(bummed out, really like this auto)

Reply to
myancov

If it were mine, I would try to figure out what is causing the noise and then proceed from there.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

thanks...

I don't know how to proceed with figuring out what is causing the noise, that's why I posted here

Reply to
myancov

Is it more like a ticking sound or a heavier sound. A lifter makes more of a light ticking sound and piston slap is a heavier spound (almost like a knock). If it's a lifter, you may have varnish deposits on a lifter. It could also be a piece of dirt that is floating around the lifter and, occasionally, gets stuck in it. Either way, you can probably live with it as long as it goes away after the engine has been operating for a short while. If it's piston slap, it could be serious (or not) but you might want to get it checked by a knowledgeable mechanic. I had the same problem in one of my vehicles recently and it cleared up by itself.

Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Apr 22, 2006, 7:26pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hello all,

99 Camaro, with the subject motor, 84K miles, religiously maintained this just started happening to me -- when started up, very loud tapping noise, ala stuck lifter or valve after 15 minutes of running, the noise gradually diminishes, then is gone all throughout, factory oil pressure gauge reads its usual psi, car runs like it always has carbon rap ? =A0 piston slap ? =A0 recommendations please... (bummed out, really like this auto)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

In case the engine is a little varnished, I might try adding some formulation like Mystery Marvel Oil to the crankcase a couple of hundred miles before I wanted to change the oil next. Read the instructions and dont overfill.

Then see if the click changes as you drive it. Some people have had this work pretty well. I don't think it will hurt anything, in any case. I have seen it done lots of times, and have done it myself once or twice, and there have never been any negative consequences.

If this doesn't help, then you will have to look deeper into the engine.

Reply to
<HLS

What oil filter are you using? FRAM's are known for this.

Reply to
JJ

To the OP... If it turns out to be an oil filter problem, I wish you would please post it here. It would be important to have a documentable case of these claims.

Reply to
<HLS

this may or may not be coincidental, but previously I had been using Purolator "Premium Plus" oil filters, exclusively.... then, on a lark, I decided to try the Purolator "Pure One" oil filter -- within 1000 miles of that oil change is when the symptom arose

Reply to
myancov

I doubt that it means anyhing. I used the "Pure One" filter for years on several of my vehicles and never had a problem. Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Wed, Apr 26, 2006, 6:38pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com this may or may not be coincidental, but previously I had been using Purolator "Premium Plus" oil filters, exclusively.... then, on a lark, I decided to try the Purolator "Pure One" oil filter -- within 1000 miles of that oil change is when the symptom arose

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

I used Fram for years, because they were so readily available, and never had a problem. All the bad press (and I admit that Fram has dubious manufacturing methods and materials) has convinced me to change to a different brand now, but it had nothing to do with Fram failures.

I want to hear of actual failures, not hearsay based on cutting filter bodies apart.

Reply to
<HLS

I've never heard of any actual failures of Fram filters causing problems but I have heard that the filters are not well made. I used Fram for many years and I also used Lee filters - had no problems with either except that on the Fram with the black gripping surface, the engine heat would blster and peel the plastic off.

Reply to
James Fedorawicz