NV4500 or AX5 in an 02 tj ?

I'm trying to figure out what transmission my 02 tj ( 4.0 5spd standard ) has in it and what fluid it takes. There are no tags on the thing , it does have " NG " stamped on the side of it in several places but everything I see here and on the web seems to suggest that since it is an 02 it must have an AX 5 in it. From what I have found so far the AX 5 was in tjs up until 02 and then 03 they have NV4500's . The shifter assembly on the top of NV4500's I found pictures of look exactly like what is atop my tranny (big square plate with four bolts ) and not like the smaller round shifter assembly (or whatever it's called) on the top of all the AX transmissions I found pictures of. I bought the jeep new, the transmission in it is factory, could it have a NV4500 in it ?

Anyone tell me how to tell exactly what tranny I have and what fluid goes in it ? Gear oil ? Synthetic ?

Thanks for any help.

Farrell Christeson

Reply to
T.R.A.I.N. Helpdesk

Nevermind, it is an AX5 I wasn't looking at it right.

Farrell Christeson

Reply to
T.R.A.I.N. Helpdesk

you mean "Never mind, it's an AX15"

:-)

(the AX5 is only used in the 2.5 litre 4 cylinder)

Reply to
Dave Milne

Hmm... really hate it when my ignorance shows. Twice.

Thanks for pointing that out. Had them backwards.

Farrell Christeson

Reply to
T.R.A.I.N. Helpdesk

sorry, didn't mean to sound like a smart arse ! Although at the risk of doing it again, you probably meant the NV3550 which replaced the AX15 in ... emmm... around 2000 I think. The NV4500 is used in

3/4 ton Dodges and is a popular upgrade (e.g.
) Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
Reply to
Dave Milne

It has the NV 3550, if I remember correctly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I didn't take it that way. I actually got the NV4500 info off some web site , I guess they ment NV3550 and right now I'll believe anything I read. I'm so inept when it comes to this stuff. The other day I started to have a garage do it for me and I told them 'twice' it was a standard transmission they told me 'twice' it would be $38.00 labor + the gasket , filter and fluid.... I didn't 'think' a standard transmission has filter , I couldn't figure out what the gasket was for, and $38.00 to unscrew a drain plug and put it back in ? I wasn't confident enough in my knowledge (or lack of) to argue the point so I decided to do it myself and then I would know if the damn thing needed a filter and a gasket.

Farrell Christeson

"Dave Milne" wrote in message news:%_1ue.54356$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
Farrell Christeson

It could be, but if a NV3550 looks like a NV4500 (I don't have that big square bulge on the driver side of my tranny that the NV4500 has) then it don't have . I'm pretty confident at this point that it has an AX15. I'm going to fill it with Redline MT90 whatever it is and see if it blows up. Well, that is as soon as I find some place that tells me about how much fluid it takes in ounces or pints or quarts or gallons instead of " until it runs out the fill hole " so I have some idea how much I need to order.

Farrell Christeson

Reply to
Farrell Christeson

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

ARGH! NV3550 , NV3500 , AX15 ... they all look alike... well, mounted up were it is under the Jeep I guess I should say it looks like all of them but after you post and went and googled for pics of the NV3550 and 3500 and the only thing that really stands out is that big square shifter assembly on the top of the transmission, that looks right.

I guess all I really need to know is, can I put Redline MT90 in it ?

Farrell Christeson

Reply to
Farrell Christeson

Put in enough that it comes out of the fill hole.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

LOL... I found the specs on the 3500 / 3550 , I think I can order enough to make it do that now !

Farrell Christeson

Reply to
Farrell Christeson

Reply to