odd problem right turn signal slower than left?

anyone ever seen a flasher that was slower on one side than the other? Bugs the crap out of me. The left side is normal speed and the right is SLOOOOOOWW.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

David C. Moller

flash speed on older vehicles has to do with bulb resistance. try swapping your bulbs

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

Change the turn signal bulbs on the slow side, you have one (maybe two) that have burned out.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Our Cherokee does this sometimes. I have a corrosion problem on the socket the flasher fits into. I clean it and it holds for a few months, then goes slow again until I clean it again.

Mike

Mike Romain

This is what I thought too, (although most vehicles I've seen with a bad bulb the flasher speed INCREASED a bunch) but none of the bulbs are out.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

most older style flashers depend on resistance for the frequency. A bulb of different wattage, or resistance anywhere in the circuit will account for the difference. You could also convert to an electronic flasher, but why only fix the symptom?

K-D Tools sells a bulb-socket brush, it's like a 12 guage shotgun brush with a twisted end to clean the contacts. I clean it out, wire wheel the buld, apply a big gob of silicon dielectric grease (NOT silicon sealant, Bill !), and plug it back in. It stays waterproof and corrosion resistant.

Most German cars have pathetically cheap tail lamp assemblies, I cant bend the contacts on my 82 Jetta enough to keep good contact. so I soldered larger nipples on a new set of bulbs, no more intermittant lamps.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Dielectric silicone... I knew I was missing a key ingredient in my weatherproofing arsenal...

Reply to
Simon Juncal