Reverse Lights U/S

Ok small puzzling thing happening with the reverse lights on my XJ, most of the time they do not function, I have checked the bulbs, ground and voltages. When I check them they all seem to work, but yet 1/2 the time no reverse lights. What else is there to check?

Thanks. Snow...

Reply to
Snow

The switch on the tranny.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

There is a switch that detects that Reverse is selected, this switch needs to be looked at to see that the linkage to it is adjusted well. The switch can fail, but normally the linkage is maladjusted. Position your XJ so that you can see the rear lights reflecting in a window. I generally notice that most office buildings with ground floor windows will allow me to do a light check if I back into a parking space near the windows. I shift into R, turn the lights on and off, and hit the brakes while the lights are both on and off. I also run the blinkers for a few clicks of the flasher.

What you want to do is shift into R, then move the shift lever a little bit to both sides of the detent to see if you can force the back up lights to come on and go off. You will probably find that you can, and this means the linkage is adjusted poorly. You can determine which way makes the light come reliably, then adjust the linkage so it hits the switch better in the normal detent position.

You can also do this test with a helper, but normally my helpers don't understand the goal and they consequently don't help very much. Once you do the window reflector test and figure out if the linkage is not adjusted well, then you can direct the helper to give you the information you need, and this will help you perform the actual adjustement at home.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

D'OH... thats what I was afraid of... well I'll add that to the "to be done" list.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow